MAXIMUM tenufolia

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Last years show was pretty disappointing, so I repotted, and I've been throwing bone meal on it whenever I remember. There's well over 50 flowers and buds on it now, and I can't figure out a good side to show best. The whole GH is smelling like coconut! Hopefully it will still be in bloom for the Memphis show.

Person for scale.

Trying to find a good side.

Flower closeup

That's a super plant, soon it will be as large as the one they have at EYOF :clap:

Amazing, how long does it take to reach this size?:drool:
I bought a tiny one from Deep Cut Orchid society auction many years ago, I did not realize it was a seedling just out from flask.
Every passing year, I thought it was going to the flower.:eek:

Great Maxillaria. Mine's in bloom right now also, so I can only imagine the fragrance overload you must be experiencing.

Amazing, how long does it take to reach this size?:drool:
I bought a tiny one from Deep Cut Orchid society auction many years ago, I did not realize it was a seedling just out from flask.
Every passing year, I thought it was going to the flower.:eek:

It was about 2/3 this size when I got it about 4 years ago, but it has been chopped up a few times before I got it. In general I think this species is a very fast grower.

I was trying to find out how big the EYOF plant is, and found a recent reference that it was 25 years old, and required 3 people to move it!!!! So that makes mine a teenager in comparison.

This one has large flowers (5.5cm span) compared to most I've seen. I've never been able to self it, and the few attempts at an outcross have been unsuccessful too. I'm wondering if this one has odd ploidy.

I was trying to find out how big the EYOF plant is, and found a recent reference that it was 25 years old, and required 3 people to move it!!!! So that makes mine a teenager in comparison.

I saw it at Chelsea Flower Show a couple of years ago. Here's a picture I took

Max tenuifolia 'Saint Helier'

EYMaxtenuifoliasainthelier.jpg

Wonderful specimen!!! How about some cultural tips Rick? Sounds like some people have trouble blooming this one...I bought a plant in bud last year but it didn't rebloom for me this year. :sob:

I tried growing mine under lights last year but it didn't flower so this winter I grew it together with my Dens and Coels (i.e. cold, bright, dry, no fertiliser) and I think there are a couple of buds developing now :ninja:

Simply amazing... :) Great job blooming this one.. Mine grows but doesn't bloom (yet).. Does tenuifolia have a definite blooming season or does it bloom with every newly mature growth?

It does have a season that seems to vary a little from one plant to the next. Some of the bloomers in TN started in March, but this one consistently starts in April, and should be done in June sometime.

This species seems to like a Dendrobium or Catesetum like culture with a dry cool winter and wet warm spring/summer. Some folks (including myself) withold water in the winter until they see some bulb shrivelling, and then maintain that rate for a couple of months. When I see a bit of new growth (Feb/March), I increase water and food.

I rarely see roots on those hanging pseudobulbs, but they do occaisonally break off, and are rootable at that point. I guess in the wild they probably ramble down tree trunks and hummocks. It's fairly common on old potted plants for the bulb chains to just hang down, and keep growing. I get blooms to the very end of the bulb chains, so there seems to be enough nutrition through the whole plant.

I saw it at Chelsea Flower Show a couple of years ago. Here's a picture I took

Max tenuifolia 'Saint Helier'

EYMaxtenuifoliasainthelier.jpg

Man that's a pile!! It's about the height of a small kid! Do you know if its potted and sitting on a pedestal or is there some kind of substrate in the middle for attachment of hanging growth?

This would take up too much space in my GH to allow mine to get this big.

Latest posts

Back