maximizing flowering

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denver

Reaction score
Ok, so here is the situation. I have a great looking quickly growing spike on a paph philippinense. I give it about a 60% chance that two other growths are throwing up spikes as well but they're a little too low right now to be able to tell for sure.
Here is a quick phone picture I took today while watering that shows the current spike:
i0YP6Ekl.jpg

So obviously, I am quite pleased. But I am curious on people's opinions on how to make sure to get both the best looking and longest lasting flowers. I am curious in general but would also appreciate advice relating to this plant specifically.

This plant sits closest to a SW facing window. This time of year it gets pretty much direct light for a decent portion of the day with the sun so low. But the window has double panes and has a screen on it so it is filtered a little. To me, this plant has been very happy where it is as in the two years that I have had it, it has produced 6 new growths off of the original blooming growth and two small new growths that it had when I acquired it.

But I am a little concerned that if I leave it where it is, the flowers might not be at their best. Since, I am a windowsill grower, I have trouble keeping humidity much above 65% but I am able to generally keep it north of 60%. Would it possibly be best to move the plant back a little bit so the flowers don't get quite as warm as they will on a sunny day if I leave it where it is? Or should I just say that obviously it is happy where it is and leave it in its very bright location?

You are doing a good job, some people move their plants to a shady area right after bloom initiation to promote a taller inflourescence, but thats up to you, cool temp, and bright light promote red pigmentation increase in blooms

From living in that part of the world for 13+ years there's no guarantee that you will get stable warm humid sunny conditions over the next couple of months. This is the most unstable time of year, weather wise, in your part of the country.

You may want to add a humidfier near your plant to stay > 65% when the petals are developing.

The plant looks healthy with good color so I assume the roots are good.(??)

Don't skimp on water if you can help it. Plant tissue is 85% or more water (the rest is carbon) so the amount of new tissue is mostly coming from the amount of water the plant can process, and the CO2 it can inhale.

I've been looking into the literature on organic acids (mainly citric and malic acids) and the high production agri folks for ornamental plants have demonstrated significant improvement in flower life from foliar feedings of citric or combos of citric/malic acid). Plain old store bought lemon juice has both of these compounds in high concentration and you can apply this as a foliar feed, or use as a "leaf shine" product wiping on by hand.

I have two humidifiers that run all of the time. Unfortunately I grow in an upstairs loft that is open to the living room below so it is hard to keep the humidity up. But being upstairs greatly helps with the quality of light.

I have started a trial with a group of my plants with lemon juice in my water. This isn't one of those plants but maybe I'll give it a wipe down.

Latest posts

Back