Master....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

biothanasis

Hello,

Ok the semesters with the courses are over and now we must pick a subject for the master diploma and make a project/work or whatever it is called, for about a year!! I am really confused of what subject to pick...! The master is about management of protected areas, conservation etc.

The first thing I thought of was something concerning orchids, but the period is really short for collecting data...:( It should be from now to early summer!!! There are some species that flower in late summer, but the real thing is now...!!! Does anyone of you have a subject to recommend about orchids, that would involve field work too??? Thank you so much in advance!!!!

If this with the orchids does not work, then I might have to work with data about the brown bear (Ursus arctos)..., but it is the orchid family that I want...:)

Any suggestion is welcomed!!!!

how about studying the effect of the making and consumption of Salep (Orchid Ice Cream) on the population of Orchis? possible alternative to current trend in harvesting wild collected tubers is of course the possibility of cultivating the plants in farm like environment, or maybe just selective harvesting ensuring that the colony is not denuded in one fell swoop...

Hello bench72,

This is really a major threat (collecting for salep, it is used here for making a beverage) for european species, so it might be a very good subject... TY...:)

Where I live, deer are a big problem with native lady slippers. If you have a problem with wildlife eating orchids, maybe that could be a topic of study if you could have two areas side-by-side with one protected and one not. See what happens with the managed area vs. the non-managed site.

My teachers told me I do not have the time for a project with orchids...So I was given another subject!!!! Thank you for the ideas!!! Maybe a PhD will show up after master;););)

I totally agree with you Eric!!!!! That is the only subject I would love to work with for life, but things aren't always easy!!!! But as I talked with my teacher, she suggested I could do something for PhD or work with someone that the subject he works with is orchids, so that scheduling is better...;)!!!! Hehehe...

I will never stop trying!!!!LOL

Latest posts

Back