Masdevallia strobelii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticshaun

Reaction score
First bloom on a plant acquired from Ecuagenera (at the Edmonton Orchid Show) back in Feb. Grown under lights. My M. hirtzii is in bud too but has aborted several already and M. princeps is putting out it's 9th consecutive flower ... yay Masdevallias (not quite the same level as 'the slipper orchid fever' but damn close).

IMG_28312.jpg

Shaun

Very charming flower, there's something about that shade of yellow. Love the photo to.

I have a Masdevallia too, but it's a little picky for me, doesn't like any light falling on it at all, or it aborts several leaves, and it certainly won't flower. If you have any secrets of the trade, then I'm all ears.

I try to collect Masdevallias that are listed as being intermediate growers (a few cool-intermediate) or at least having some warmth tolerance. That leaves out all of the really red species and caudata which are what I really want now (of course). I do have access to really cold temperatures in winter but letting the frigid arctic air back into my house after I've gone thru great expense to seal and heat the house is problematic. I do close my heat vents in the grow room during the winter but my coolest temps are in the fall when I'm not yet heating my house and the windows can be left open. I do like the technique of placing pots into clay pots that then can sit in water to keep the roots a little cooler (inside pot doesn't touch water).
Eric -I didn't check for any scent but I'll check the next one when it opens (I'd forgotten that it was supposed to be fragrant- Jays site says like candy).

Shaun

Latest posts

Back