Majestic Tresses

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting a bit fed up Heather? I don't blame you.I am too. I always knew I was no computer wiz, but this is ridiculous. I'm going to try again a little later and if that dosen't work, (any bets?) I'll take you up on your offer. Thanks

You're almost there!
No once again!
What's the
before and after the link, in the posted instructions?

Those need to be copied along with what is in between them. Paste that whole string into the reply box in Slippertalk, and you will see your image when you click the Post Quick Reply button.
Yep that's part of the 'code', included that & you're home free!

Getting a bit fed up Heather? I don't blame you.I am too. I always knew I was no computer wiz, but this is ridiculous. I'm going to try again a little later and if that dosen't work, (any bets?) I'll take you up on your offer. Thanks
You're gonna do it! I'm not a computer wiz either.

Should I be typing the "Full size IMG link codes" generated in photobucket here?
such as -
windowsill.jpg

Once you've uploaded the picture in PB, you click once on the image code and you copy the link. Then you go to your post on SlipperTalk and paste the link inside the box with the paste command. You can write what you want above or below the link to accompany the picture. Then you can review the picture and comments and finally push the left button under the box to make the link available to everybody.

I tried clicking on the links in photobucket but when I did they disappeared.
I'll have another look at it. This would have made a good "Seinfeld" episode!

I think the picture is tiny because somehow you copied the thumbnail instead of the image.

I don't know about PC's, but with a Mac, I hold the mouse over the picture, and a drop-down box appears. The bottom line in that box is the one with IMG in it. When click that line, the word "copied" appears. I then go to slipper talk and paste the link. When I click "submit reply" the photo appears.

That's OK. When it disappears, it means the copy has worked and you can now paste it in ST. Hang on, you'll get there.:clap:

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

Lets hope these are sized better. I'm not sure I remember why, who ever wanted to, wanted to see these. The windowsill faces south, the Majestic Tresses remains small (wish I could re-size that),and the Living Fire seems to be starting to verigate. Everyone keeps telling me to fertilize more. Now I'm
doing 1/8 teaspoon twice a week. If I do more, leaves begin to yellow, esp. the besseae. I'm not sure what the proportions are, the label has long
been obliterated by water and the fert. But I bought it from Tom Kaline at Fox Valley Orchids, so I'm sure it's the right stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Majestic Tresses has remained the same size as when I bought it from you, about 2 yrs.ago.
A couple leaves on The Living Fire (also yours)began to "verigate", but the newest looks fine.
I'm wondering if these things are normal, and if not, what might I be doing wrong?

While crock pots are great for stability, if you don't soak them frequently they can suck the moisture out of a mummy. Might want to see how the moisture in the mix is. Most of us grow our Phrags with a water reserve so that the roots have constant access.

Not saying its your problem. Not sure if I helped here either as I may be totally wrong....sorry.

Last edited:
I've heard from a couple of sources that the ceramic pots are good for keeping the roots cool when the plants are on a windowsill. Your suggestion of water trays makes since. Does that always apply, or should I just do that in the summer?

All the time. But, and here's where we say your mileage may vary, Majestic Tresses is a hybrid of two of the Phrag species that don't particularly like it too wet and can be prone to rot. So, I'm not sure that would be the best course of action for this plant. Generally the four long petaled species, warsewiczeanum, lindenii, wallisii, and caudatum, tend to prefer it a bit drier than other Phrags.

Personally, I'd like to hear what Tom has to say about this. That is a very small plant and it is surprising to me that it has been that size for so long. How long ago was that photo of it out of the pot taken? Any more root growth since then? Are there any viable roots at this point?

The photo of the roots was taken when I re-potted, about 6 weeks ago. It gets new leaves but, of course, the oldest one dies. It does have one more then when I bought it, but overall it's the same size. What do you mean by "viable roots" other then those in the photo? They seem to be, since it is alive. There are none coming out of the bottom of the pot or near the surface. Could this be an exception to the rule of keeping them root-bound? Should I try a little larger pot?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Heather on this one. In general, the long-petalled species and their hybrids prefer drier conditions, and your's appears to be suffering from over-watering. Also, your besseae's new leaf appears to be suffering from some sort of phytotoxic reaction ( a reaction to some chemical/insecticidal spray).

Latest posts

Back