Majestic Tresses

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BobR

I'm a relative newbie, have 6 Phrags. that for the most part, are doing well.(no flowers yet) The Majestic Tresses really puzzles me. It's about 2 years old and still looks like a seedling - 2" wide and only 2 short roots about 11/2' long. Color looks good and keeps forming new leaves, but every time a new one forms, one dies. I realize that part is normal, but staying that tiny this long? I also have a Living Fire that has 2 of the 3 newest leaves beginning to "verigate". Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, BobR

Welcome to the Forum BobR. Your problem is common and hard to fix. Some phrags are reluctant to grow. You can repot them and hope you get the right mix. You can change the light, the watering schedule, use more fertiliser or less, change the formula and nothing works. I have phrags like that who seem to take forever to get somewhere while those around them are thriving with the same water, the same light, the same fertiliser, the same ventilation. My feeling is it's a genetic disorder. The plant is simply a weakling that should never have been on a sales table but on a compost pile. And when we invest time, even years on those, it's hard to call it quits and throw it out. I'm learning hard to do that, to part with plants that show no sign of going anywhere. Next time you see something on a sales table, don't be afraid to ask questions like 'How old is the plant?' How do you grow it? Can I see the roots?' And if need be: 'Do you have anything bigger?'
As far as the variegation is concerned, it could be missing iron in the mix. I've had that problem recently and I put a pinch of iron dust in the water and the plant is going green again. Try garden centers if you want to find it or maybe ebay. Good luck.

Welcome to the forum Bob!
Please tell us more particulars in order to help you -
light (windowsill, underlights, greenhouse?), temps,
what's your potting media? have you repotted?
source of the water your using.

All (6) my Phrags are on a south facing windowsill with blinds so I can make adjustments when the sun is too strong. They're in plastic pots, in ceramic pots,to keep the roots from overheating and all are on moisture trays. I use small bark mix and distilled water - fertilize once a week-about 1/8 tspn. per gal.. I have a fan on and have repotted. I get plenty of new growth but no blooms. I'm beginning to think all but one are too young - avg. age about 4 yrs.

Welcome from NYC. When you say the sdlg is 2" wide do you mean NS from tip to tip? if so, that is very small, if you can try to put it under lights, also your fert ratio seems weak, what is the rate on the instructions? It would help if you couyld post photos.

This year has been a very gray dreary winter in the midwest, especially April. Depending on natural daylight hours your plants are somewhat dormant 5-6months of the year which could account for slow growth.

I'll try to post a couple of photos in the next day or two. All the plants are growing, even the Majestic Tresses. It's just that it's the only one not getting any larger. The plant itself is about 2" in diameter and the roots (2 of them) are about 1 1/2" long each. Thanks all, I really appreciate the advice.

Maybe the problem is that all instructions and everyone is thinking "PC".
I'm on a Mac. Make a difference?

Here's a screen shot of Photobucket. Bob, I think you want to copy and paste the last option - the image code in instead of the just the url.
screenshot20110515at134.png

Those need to be copied along with what is in between them. Paste that whole string into the reply box in Slippertalk, and you will see your image when you click the Post Quick Reply button.

Latest posts

Back