lowii Half-Album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justin I have a pastel lowii that might be a good one to breed too.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25890&highlight=lowii

It has open blooms now, so I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.

Hi Rick looking at your flower i am betting the cross is mislabeled and it is actually this Albino Beauty x Gigantic cross (or reciprocal). There is no color in the dorsal and the shape is very close. I also suspect these may be triploid as the flowers on two clones I have are almost identical.

PM me your address if you want me to send some pollen your way...if the cross produces viable seed half could be album.

Morning Justin

In that old post of mine you mentioned that you had a couple of the same cross from Tom Kalina that you were waiting to bloom out.

Have they bloomed for you yet?

no those two plants are still small and growing slowly. another couple years away still...

i've seen the AQ pictures of the MAH X NH cross and they are very yellow with lots of spots, dark dorsals, and horizontal petals. Having flowered 2 clones of the Albino Beauty cross i am very sure that's what yours is too.

no those two plants are still small and growing slowly. another couple years away still...

i've seen the AQ pictures of the MAH X NH cross and they are very yellow with lots of spots, dark dorsals, and horizontal petals. Having flowered 2 clones of the Albino Beauty cross i am very sure that's what yours is too.

How do you think they would have got mixed up? Were all those crosses down at the same breeder?

Compared to other lowii I have the NH X MAH plant is a slower grower, and doesn't get the same momentum for putting on new growths/roots.

I put it in an oversized basket when I was using a higher percentage of moss. I recently dug out a lot of the old moss and replaced with gravel to get the drainage up better. The best roots were on the side with more rock.

Need to look up some close up picks of that horn above the staminode, and compare it to the one on haynaldianum.

Heres some pics of my NH X MAH for this year.

The closeup of the horn is not as clear as I can see under hand lens, the overall shape and size of the horn is very 'lowii', but a bit hairer (and all along the top edge). Could this cross have a hint of 'var. lynniae' in it??

Latest posts

Back