lowii Half-Album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
Hi All,

Very difficult to capture the pastel colors of this lowii with my camera. It's the Orchid Inn cross 'Albino Beauty' x 'Gigantic'. I saw one of these in bloom that a vendor brought to our OS and was really intrigued by the color so I bought a couple seedlings. I have one more plant in spike that is just about to open up.

This photo still doesn't do it justice. It is like a regular color lowii, but with muted, soft green and pink colors. I love it.

Well, this is a fine example what this „half album“ business is all about!

The half album reference isn’t as much something that makes sense from a taxonomical standpoint, but is more a breeding reference, or a genetic hint to whoever is interested in a plants' background. To me the term “Half Album”, being interested in breeding as well as selecting the best possible plants, makes total sense, and is (IMHO) something we have to learn to deal with. Call it a tool! Your lowii by the way, doesn’t just provide an insight into its' genetics, it also shows a different kind of coloration to go along with that genetic trait, which by no means need to be obvious as an F1 albino breeding seedling.
I myself am therefore glad that someone came up with a way to explain as well as show what breeding can be about, if you put in some thought…

You're on the right track John Boy but "Half Album" still tells me nothing and is poorly use as a footnote for a plant. As with Maudie's we have Album, Coloratum and Vini, now with lowii we have album, "pastel" and coloratum.

To me, whenever "half album" is used, it refers to the genetics of the plant, not the colour of the flower. "Half album" means that one parent was normal coloured and the other parent was album; meaning that it carries the album gene. So, if it is crossed with a sibling, 1/4 of the seedlings will be album, 1/4 will be pure colouratum and 1/2 will be normal; but, also carrying the album gene, making them "half album" too. If a half album plant is crossed with a pure album, 1/2 the seedlings will be colouratum "half albums" and the other 1/2 will be pure album.

I'm actually surprised that the flower is a pastel colour. I would've expected the dominant colour genes to fully express the colour, not be toned down. Maybe someone else can explain this?

You're on the right track John Boy but "Half Album" still tells me nothing and is poorly use as a footnote for a plant. As with Maudie's we have Album, Coloratum and Vini, now with lowii we have album, "pastel" and coloratum.

Granted, if I consider these things with "a taxonomic hat on" it makes no sense. But...: how other than that would you wanted to be pushed into a direction of thinking "genetics" rather than mostly just taxonomy crap which doesn't make any sense, other that to feed a stupid as well as arrogant taxonomists' vanity?

Semantic details aside, I love the flower. Another of my favorites but it is so seldom seen. Thanks for the posting.

To me, whenever "half album" is used, it refers to the genetics of the plant, not the colour of the flower. "Half album" means that one parent was normal coloured and the other parent was album; meaning that it carries the album gene. So, if it is crossed with a sibling, 1/4 of the seedlings will be album, 1/4 will be pure colouratum and 1/2 will be normal; but, also carrying the album gene, making them "half album" too. If a half album plant is crossed with a pure album, 1/2 the seedlings will be colouratum "half albums" and the other 1/2 will be pure album.

I'm actually surprised that the flower is a pastel colour. I would've expected the dominant colour genes to fully express the colour, not be toned down. Maybe someone else can explain this?

It seems that, like fairrieanum, the genes responsible for turning on and off color also allow for expression of "in-between".

I have been told that in haynaldianum, the offspring of an album crossed to a normal color form can actually come out album.

Lovely delicate colour. I like it a lot.

Like JohnM, I'm a bit confused about what is going on here. I would have expected a normal colour.

I have been told that in haynaldianum, the offspring of an album crossed to a normal color form can actually come out album.
Yes, that would happen if the normal colour form was "half album" and therefore, carried the album gene. I doubt that the genetics is so simple that it can be said all half albums must express pastel hues. Then there is the degree to which the normal colours have been muted. There must be some variability, making some simply look like poorly coloured normals and some being almost album; but, with hints of colour here and there.

I like it! :) I also like the idea that it is a stepping stone towards an improved "full album" lowii.

The colony from where the lowii album came from is in Bakun. The color of the normal form of those plants is already extremely pale, like that photo, and it could be called 'pastel'. We are used to see colored lowii, most bred from the Sabah or Indonesian types. But the photo here is quite typical of a lowii from Sarawak,

Sarawak has way paler lowii than the ones we see in the USA, like here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericinsf/5932233214/

And that's quite a 'dark' one for a Sarawak type.

and it appears that the light color form is dominant when crossing both together.

Now, if lowii Gigantic comes from Krull Smith, it will be a dead end. The lowii album is a diploid, but the Krull Smith plants are for most of them tetraploids. The cross between the two is a triploid, not very fertile if at all.

That's an interesting photo, Xavier. Years ago, I bought a lowii seedling from L&R (or was it L&K?) a NZ company selling at a GNYOS show. The seedling grew quickly and bloomed, but it was a completely pale, virtually colorless flower, except for the petal tips which were very vivid. To tell you the truth, I hated that bloom...This bloom is nicer.

It is common for a heterozygous plant with one "album" gene and one "normal" gene to have essentially full normal coloring, showing simple dominant/recessive inheritance pattern, but it doesn't have to be that way. There are many ways for a flower to lack the red/purple color it might normally have, not one "album" gene but at least several that contribute to the production (and control of production) and distribution of the pigment. You might expect this appearance if a single copy of a particular functional gene is not enough to produce a full dose of color (incomplete dominance), or if the mutation is in the control of the pigment producing process. Think of roses where you have every shade of pink between red and white. Why would you assume that orchids can't exhibit similar genetics?

Latest posts

Back