Lowii 09

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
There are 5 buds on this spike, and in the background you can see an open flower on a second spike (same plant different growth) also with 5 buds.

closer up

Wow, beautiful flowers Rick!!!! The plant must be very strong!

(mine is spiking too, and hopefully, I will have my first lowii flowers blooming soon :)) Jean

Sounds great, you are going to have quite a show! How old is the plant?

I too like the colours.

15cm is definitely on the large size. Rick, when it was a youngster and first bloomed did it have fewer flowers? What is the NS of the plant? I also noticed on the one flower posted the petals tend to flip completely over so you view the back of the spoons from the front! I only mention this because I have one doing the same and I think it's neat. But I only have one flower open so far. The NS of mine is not large at all but a second lowii in early spike has a much larger NS and holds it's petals close to horizonal with no flipping ( if I remember correctly). Do you have the parents for your clone?

15cm is definitely on the large size. Rick, when it was a youngster and first bloomed did it have fewer flowers? What is the NS of the plant? I also noticed on the one flower posted the petals tend to flip completely over so you view the back of the spoons from the front! I only mention this because I have one doing the same and I think it's neat. But I only have one flower open so far. The NS of mine is not large at all but a second lowii in early spike has a much larger NS and holds it's petals close to horizonal with no flipping ( if I remember correctly). Do you have the parents for your clone?

This plant was already multi growth (2 or 3?) when I got it Rick, and I can't recall if any growths had previously bloomed. It has a leaf span of about 24". It's a pretty big floppy plant. I can't recall a flower count of less than 4 per spike since I've had it, and it's hit 6 a couple of times. The petal stance is variable, even on a single spike. If you could find a post from about 2 or so years ago you would see a flower with fairly straight w/nice forward facing petals right next to one with curved upward facing petals. The curved w/highly inverted stance is the most common. Generally when you get something from Andy's parentage is gone, however, he thinks this one may have sourced way back from a Borneo collection. The halo type spotting, large size, and curving petals is fairly reminiscent of the "Borneo" clone too.

The record flower I've measured was 16.5 cm

Halo type spotting, humm, I'll have to check that out. So, is the thought of the more horizon held petal stance of plants from southern Philippines? Or is it more a result of line breeding?

Halo type spotting, humm, I'll have to check that out. So, is the thought of the more horizon held petal stance of plants from southern Philippines? Or is it more a result of line breeding?

There are definitely clones (primarily from the Philippines) that throw horizontal petals every flower, every time, but I think variety cross breeding rather than line breeding has moved this trait more consistently into the cultivar you see on the bench these days. Many of the straight petaled clones I've seen have been rather small, and some of the really big straight petaled clones these days may be a few generations line bred after a varietal cross. The 4N plants are starting to show their worth now too.

OH yea, the 4N's Isn't that what came out of Krull-Smith's breeding? A friend in the society has a lowii from there, huge and she got an AM on it.

Back