Lost tag on 1st. Phrag

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Clark

Our first orchid. Bought flowering on a small growth and a half in Feb. '07.
This is from Piping Rock, maybe Phrag. Sargent Eric? We are clueless.

Thanks for looking.

:clap: It's quite nice! :clap:
Hmmm ....... I don't think it's Sargent Eric, I see a stronger longifolium influence, whereas most SE show some sargentianum influence which I don't see in this ..........

How the heck did you get it to grow to THAT size from just 1 1/2 growths in just a little over 2 years!!!!!?

It's a beautiful flower (and plant, of course) and worthy of the space it takes up. Why don't you e-mail Glen Decker a copy of the photo to see if he recognizes it? He'll have the advantage of knowing what he had in stock at the time and what he didn't. So, even if it looks like something; but, Glen knows that he did not have that cross in his inventory at the time, he can eliminate that name from the possibilities. He may have had so many similar looking crosses on hand at the time that he can not be sure now; but, you won't know until you ask him.

How the heck did you get it to grow to THAT size from just 1 1/2 growths in just a little over 2 years!!!!!?

It's a beautiful flower (and plant, of course) and worthy of the space it takes up. Why don't you e-mail Glen Decker a copy of the photo to see if he recognizes it? He'll have the advantage of knowing what he had in stock at the time and what he didn't. So, even if it looks like something; but, Glen knows that he did not have that cross in his inventory at the time, he can eliminate that name from the possibilities. He may have had so many similar looking crosses on hand at the time that he can not be sure now; but, you won't know until you ask him.

Put your Phrags outside when it rains.
Not only is it like milk from the nipple, but it washes the dust off too.

Twice this year I have tried to address the name.
Just last Saturday at Parkfest (but Glen was not working the Piping Rock
booth), and at Longwood Gardens (booth was too busy for history lesson).
Your suggestion of e-mail is now the most viable route.
Thank you and happy growing. Clark

I have to agree with Heather: Phrag. Saint Peter (= Eric Young x longifolium)

Robert

Put your Phrags outside when it rains.
Not only is it like milk from the nipple, but it washes the dust off too.

Well, I do know that there is nothing quite like fresh rain to perk up a plant. It's WAY better at sparking vigorous growth than stored rain water. You've probably hit the nail on the head. It's a bit late now; but, next year, I'll try an experiment. I'll make two divisions from a large Phrag I have and put one outside and keep one in the greenhouse. Come fall, I'll post photos. I have no doubt that the outside plant that was hand watered when needed; but also got all the rain Mother Nature sends, will be bigger and better by the end of summer. I've noticed that Cattleyas grow faster and bigger when they're grown outside in the weather for the summer. Thanks for the reply....good food for thought!

OK- I dragged my feet on this.
I just e-mailed Glen from Piping Rock. He got right back to me.
Heather, DrOrchid were correct--- I am to call it Saint Peter!
Just to be clear on this, I thought the petals on mine were too narrow for Peter.

Update on plant: still blooming since about June 10th. I have left the plant outside to about 48 degress Fahr. Color is more intense, but flowers are a little smaller. Still have 2 spikes working, but at a slower pace.
This was taken last month.
Thank you! :)

Latest posts

Back