Looking for rare, uncommon, strange, unusual orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How common is huntleya? I recently 'rediscovered' this genus. I love the little waxy flowers. How much would they cost?

Same here!

Eric, where's the grandiflorum album posted? I must have missed it.
it was an "aureum" and he recently posted it again.

How common is huntleya? I recently 'rediscovered' this genus. I love the little waxy flowers. How much would they cost?

Huntleyas aren't uncommon. You can get them <$35. Chysis are similar and there are some interesting blue and albums around.
If you want I can email you Peruflora's import list but you have to hurry to get an order for the California show in time.

Thanks Eric!

Huntleyas aren't terribly uncommon, but they definitely don't think they're often grown. They seem to be underappreciated. If you like them, you may want to look into Cochleanthes and Kefersteinia. Chysis are cool too! Tenman hasa bluish Chysis species that I really like.

There are a lot of really nice orchids, that are still 'common' in their home ranges that are not grown often in the US. As mentioned by Eric NY the Huntleya Alliance is one, another is the 'lesser' members of the Coelogyne alliance. I have 2 clones with different colored flowers of Chelonistele sulfurea, which is a nice compact species, still common all through it native range, but almost never offered commercially by US growers. Half way between Coelogyne and Dendrochilum, prices would be in the range of a paph seedling. PM me if you want one.

the white-ish flowered one from Ron-NY
Chelonistele-sulfurea-RNY-March2012.jpg

and the shell pink flowered one from Carolina Orchids.
chelonestyle-sulfurea-shan1042.jpg

Thanks for letting me know Leo. I'll think about it. I've got a flask coming from Tom Kalina so that'll keep me happy and busy for a while.

The Chelonistele species seem to be easy. I grow them with my Paphs, pot them so they don't get dry between waterings. And they seem to grow year round, no rest or anything required. They seem to bloom only once per year.

I came across two other orchids that are interesting/different (at leat to me). They are Schomburgkia christinae and Oeceoclades gracillima.

Both sound neat. Some of the Oeceoclades have fascinating foliage, wild markings much like a jewel orchid, but hard leathery leaves, not at all the tender things that jewel orchids can be. (I lost a nice Macodes to slugs a while back).

There are a lot of really nice orchids, that are still 'common' in their home ranges that are not grown often in the US. As mentioned by Eric NY the Huntleya Alliance is one, another is the 'lesser' members of the Coelogyne alliance. I have 2 clones with different colored flowers of Chelonistele sulfurea, which is a nice compact species, still common all through it native range, but almost never offered commercially by US growers. Half way between Coelogyne and Dendrochilum, prices would be in the range of a paph seedling. PM me if you want one.

those are nice

I've recently become interested in "resurrection orchids" as I like to call them. I like orchids that form small, fat pseudobulbs and are tropical deciduous plants. I like when the leaves die back and there are just bulbs and it looks dead, then the leaves and flowers come up and it comes back to life. I like pleione but I think I heard they need to go into the fridge. What are some species and genera that do that and are intermediate to warm growing? I'd like if they could be left under lights in my growing area but if they need moved to where there is less light or a little cooler temperatures, that's fine.

I've recently become interested in "resurrection orchids" as I like to call them. I like orchids that form small, fat pseudobulbs and are tropical deciduous plants. I like when the leaves die back and there are just bulbs and it looks dead, then the leaves and flowers come up and it comes back to life. I like pleione but I think I heard they need to go into the fridge. What are some species and genera that do that and are intermediate to warm growing? I'd like if they could be left under lights in my growing area but if they need moved to where there is less light or a little cooler temperatures, that's fine.

What genus are these "resurrection orchids"?

Latest posts

Back