Looking for rare, uncommon, strange, unusual orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
interesting! nice pic just getting some semblance of flower shape being that small!

btw, the greenhouse I had thought about visiting in nh about a job when I went to the nhos auction doesn't seem to be interested since they have completely avoided replying to my emails, even just to tell me yes or no if they are interested (quite rude), so doesn't look like i'll be making another trip very soon. it's amazing that in this day and age when it is so easy to communicate ((reply- yes/no) 15 seconds) seems impossible for some people

Seems the way it is right now. I've been applying for jobs for over a year, only 2 interviews and maybe only 5 employers have ever responded. What Greenhouse was it?

what field have you been applying for? (pm for the rest) it's been a little while that i've been looking around, but at first I needed a break, and then gave time to other growers to find local jobs. then after that, the places that I applied or interviewed at took weeks to get back to me to either tell me that I wasn't qualified to interview or that they had hired someone else. the last one I mention a former co-worker was hired for the job (didn't tell me he was going to apply, long ways away for him) and he told me that the job was filled weeks before the owner got around to telling me... drag things out and then there are a few months already gone by.

Posted a picture of my Oberonia setigera in bloom on a new thread. I will get pics of the flowers, but need to get out my tripod first.

I can't speak more highly of Oberonia... love them. Very easy! this is how i grow them:

1. South facing side of my greenhouse, with their backs to the sun.
2. They hang under Vandas and get a little dappling from that, but not much. They get watered every day, depending on time of year often more than once per day.
3. Fertilized every watering.
4. Temps 55 at night, and a minimum of 68 during the day in Winter. Summer temps are whatever Mother Nature throws our way.

If anyone has any questions on Oberonia, let me know. I'd be happy to answer if I can.

If you really want unusual orchids you should search for Ophrys (although they need some cold-wet winters and hot-dry summers) or some genera from Australia, e.g. Caladenia, Caleana major, Diuris, Thelymitra or even epiphytic ones, like Sarcochilus....

If you really want unusual orchids you should search for Ophrys (although they need some cold-wet winters and hot-dry summers) or some genera from Australia, e.g. Caladenia, Caleana major, Diuris, Thelymitra or even epiphytic ones, like Sarcochilus....
After our STF Australian adventure I know that laws changed and it is almost impossible to get Aussie orchids. :( The Ophrys may be available from the UK. Again, not rare just difficult to get due to CITES and fees!!

So I got 2 new orchids from the Plant House that I'd say fit into the "unusual" category.

Masdevallia Angel Tears
P1060575_zpsbddf5999.jpg

Catasetum Frilly Doris
P1060578_zpsb1758ad4.jpg

Any tips on how to pot the masdevallia to keep its roots cool? I have a slotted clay pot and I thought about putting a small layer of small rocks on the bottom and then pot it in sphagnum/charcoal/gravel mix. I had a problem with my previous masdevallia and keeping it too wet. It is now in S/H, in a clay pot, top dressed with sphagnum.

Sounds like you're on the right track for the masdie! When will it bloom? What's the parentage, do a search & see if something kicks up for bloom times, that should give you an idea.
Frilly Doris - love her! Most catasetums are at the end of the bloom season now, so next winter.

I looked up Masd. amplexa (one of the parents) and it blooms summer through fall. I found pictures of the Masdevallia Angel Tears ranging from January, May, and September. So I guess it can vary a lot.

So how does the cycle for catasetums go? Dormant (winter), new growth (spring), mature growth (summer), blooming (fall)?

And yes, I do love the flowers on this catesetum! Just love them better than any other catasetum, even Fdk.After Dark. There is rarely an orchid that has blooms that I love this much!

Nice masdie! I've been starting to think maybe I could grow those here. Too bad there aren't any in the auction!

I have a little masdevallia impostor I received in a recent society raffle table that I 'could' put in the auction, if the winner agreed to give me back a piece after they grew it up... it's not that big right now

I looked up Masd. amplexa (one of the parents) and it blooms summer through fall. I found pictures of the Masdevallia Angel Tears ranging from January, May, and September. So I guess it can vary a lot. Good researching!

So how does the cycle for catasetums go? Dormant (winter), new growth (spring), mature growth (summer), blooming (fall)? or winter when you think it's dormant & it has no leaves!

And yes, I do love the flowers on this catesetum! Just love them better than any other catasetum, even Fdk.After Dark. There is rarely an orchid that has blooms that I love this much!

Nice masdie! I've been starting to think maybe I could grow those here. Too bad there aren't any in the auction!
Ruth has some for week 2 and I'll throw in a couple! I have divisions of Jelly Belly & Maui Dean, both are Copper Angel offspring and are bred for heat tolerance.

Latest posts

Back