Lady Isabel 'Regal'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioland

Reaction score
LI= 5 cm dorsal, 1.6cm pw, 18 cm ns
this is a single growth plant with no start.

PICT0120-2.jpg

That is the nicest Lady Isabel that I've ever seen! Wow, what a dorsal, synsepal, wide, flat petals and great pouch colour! If it's a single growth with no start, I'm REALLY sorry to say it; but, you'd be foolish to not cut that spike right away! That's a sure sign of a death bloom. You need to interupt the bloom cycle and force the plant to switch over to growth mode and sprout a new start. If you let that stem stay on, when it's done, you've got a super good chance that the whole fan will wilt and die soon after blooming. That would be a crime! Cut the spike; but, save some pollen and grow that plant into something more substantial.

Oh yes, it's really a beauty!!!:drool::drool:

That is the nicest Lady Isabel that I've ever seen! Wow, what a dorsal, synsepal, wide, flat petals and great pouch colour! If it's a single growth with no start, I'm REALLY sorry to say it; but, you'd be foolish to not cut that spike right away! That's a sure sign of a death bloom. You need to interupt the bloom cycle and force the plant to switch over to growth mode and sprout a new start. If you let that stem stay on, when it's done, you've got a super good chance that the whole fan will wilt and die soon after blooming. That would be a crime! Cut the spike; but, save some pollen and grow that plant into something more substantial.

Yes, maybe it's more sure but I thought that if the plant is in health and have lots of and good roots, it was not a problem; The new growth will come after the bloom cycle, no?

Yes, maybe it's more sure but I thought that if the plant is in health and have lots of and good roots, it was not a problem; The new growth will come after the bloom cycle, no?

I tend to agree with this idea. I have noticed on several of my paphs. that the new growth starts after the bloom. It is also true that there are others that start the new growth first. I do not have experience with this particular orchid.

"Yes, maybe it's more sure but I thought that if the plant is in health and have lots of and good roots, it was not a problem; The new growth will come after the bloom cycle, no?"

Well, nothing is written in stone. This plant may be just fine and grow normally after blooming. It's just that both roth and stonei (the parents of this cross), usually have multiple growths before the first bloom and even when there is just one growth, there is usually a good start on the way. Any Paph, especially a strap-leaf type, that blooms on a single growth with no start is at risk of wearing itself out so much that it doesn't have the strength to begin growing after the bloom is gone.

There are always exceptions. I'm sure that anybody who doesn't like what I'm saying can cite an example of a single growth plant (with no start) that bloomed and then did just fine. However, what I'm saying is that in those cases, there is a high risk of blooming the plant to death. I've lost a few plants by not sacrificing the first spike, in cases where the plant had no starts and was just a single growth.

One time, I lost a $900 Paph. St. Swithin because I let it carry a spike while just a single growth with no start. I was advised by a friend to cut the spike; but, I just couldn't. When the flowers were finished, the plant immediately went downhill (despite the good roots it had), and died!

I've learned this lesson a few times, the hard way and now I never take a chance with something special. If there is no strong start on the way (1/3 grown or bigger), I cut the spike and let the plant grow some more before letting it carry any flowers. It has been my practical experience that this is the best policy.

"Yes, maybe it's more sure but I thought that if the plant is in health and have lots of and good roots, it was not a problem; The new growth will come after the bloom cycle, no?"

Well, nothing is written in stone. This plant may be just fine and grow normally after blooming. It's just that both roth and stonei (the parents of this cross), usually have multiple growths before the first bloom and even when there is just one growth, there is usually a good start on the way. Any Paph, especially a strap-leaf type, that blooms on a single growth with no start is at risk of wearing itself out so much that it doesn't have the strength to begin growing after the bloom is gone.

There are always exceptions. I'm sure that anybody who doesn't like what I'm saying can cite an example of a single growth plant (with no start) that bloomed and then did just fine. However, what I'm saying is that in those cases, there is a high risk of blooming the plant to death. I've lost a few plants by not sacrificing the first spike, in cases where the plant had no starts and was just a single growth.

One time, I lost a $900 Paph. St. Swithin because I let it carry a spike while just a single growth with no start. I was advised by a friend to cut the spike; but, I just couldn't. When the flowers were finished, the plant immediately went downhill (despite the good roots it had), and died!

I've learned this lesson a few times, the hard way and now I never take a chance with something special. If there is no strong start on the way (1/3 grown or bigger), I cut the spike and let the plant grow some more before letting it carry any flowers. It has been my practical experience that this is the best policy.

ok! Thank you for your experience!

Paphioland: I've just come back to look again.....and I must say again, that this is the most beautiful Lady Isabel that I've ever seen! It's got spectacular shape and clear, sharp colour. The white is really white and the pouch is awsome, with no colour fade at the top rim. If this were my plant, I'd protect it with my life and do absolutely everything to ensure that it remains strong and gets a chance to grow up nice and big. This one is VALUABLE! You could use divisions of this to trade for some REALLY awsome Paphs down the road. Anybody into breeding strap leaved Paphs would give an arm and a leg for a division of this. Give it a good clonal name. It deserves it!!! Like I said before, save the pollen. Plus, I'd send photos of the flowers to some breeders and see if you can make a deal where they use the pollen on their best plants and you get a share of the flasks back. You would be sitting pretty with a bunch of seedlings from this plant to use in trades with other growers! Good luck! Drool, drool, drool!

Ha, ha, ha! Eric, please don't exert yourself too much with your exuberant enthusiasm! S'matter?.....Doesn't your left pinkie reach the exlamation key?

Thanks for the comments and input. The plant is healthy so not that worried about it dying. No question that some paphs will put out a stress bloom to propagate before they die but I don't think that was the case here. Good to discuss though. I am going to put the pollen to good use John, my plant thanks you for your compliments. I think you made her pouch blush LOL.

I agree with John...that is the most beautiful Lady Isabel I have ever seen....plus if it were mine I would also cut the spike. You can always enjoy it as a cut spike in a vase of water and the plant can get back to growing. That plant is such great quality that I would be afraid to take any chance with it.

Did I say it's gorgeous? Wow!

Latest posts

Back