kovachii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron-NY

Reaction score
A recent pic of kovachii showed a brownish dorsal. Today, while going through my pics I cam across of a pic of kovachii 'Laura' (one of Alfredo Manrique's plants) Thought I would post it so it's dorsal can be seen

kovachiiLaura.jpg

Gorgeous! That's the pod parent in Suzanne Decker. w/(with Cape Sunset) What a beautiful plant! :D

All I can go by, is the pictures I have seen of this species, but, from what I've seen, the buds are very brownish. Therefore, the backs of the dorsal and synsepals would be brownish (eg. Chuck Acker's plant, which was only a few days old). My question would be how do you get a flower without having brown on the sepals?

Chuck's flower had brown sepals, front and back, on Friday and Saturday of the show. The flower was quite young at that point I believe. Leo saw the same flower a week or so later, and from memory, his images showed the sepals were still brown??? Right Leo? By comparison, this Laura clone is superior per AOS standards mostly by color and form of the sepals which has a drastic impact on the overall form and color of the flower as a whole.

-Ernie

I agree the Laura clone is amazing. I didn't notice brown on the front of the sepals of Chuck's flower - I thought it was just that the sepals were curled over, so the back was showing. So, is it more natural for kovachii to show the brown, and rare and 'better' if it does not? Are the sepals so flat or reflexed on the Laura clone that we just can't see the brown? It must still be there, right? Maybe the buds on certain plants are mauve in stead of brown?

Beautiful Ron but it should be posted in the Phrag section:poke:
whoops...thought that is where I had posted it...where are my reading glasses???? :rollhappy:

all of the kovachii buds I have seen have a brown hirsute appearance . The hybrid buds also have this but tend more toward the maroon shade. I would assume that the back side of 'Laura' is also brownish. I will see if I can get some more pics from Alfredo to share here.

I was wondering what the 'brown' reference was about. The color is like that organic brown-green of a dark paph wardii. Like a dark olive drab not really straight brown, in fact the leaves are dark green w/ brownish hairs. IMO.

;)

I thought I had some photos of buds but I can't find them.
As I recall the buds are completely fuzzy with brown hairs.
Notice the seed pods are fuzzy.

Hi Lance,

Heres one of my pictures

Flowerwithbud.jpg

Shows the hairy buds.

Kyle

Latest posts

Back