Kinkounishiki

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not still have this plant. It is in the collection of a local physician now. I wish I would have kept it, but I will replace it with something equally nice sooner or later.

I see. At least it's still around.
Must be quite a clump by now.

I just saw one on eBay which was typical green with little yellow, and I looked it up out of curiosity, then boom! yours came up.

Mine was an especially good one. I got it from NWO when Glenn still owned the business. The better the variegation on these, the higher the price.

I'm a little late to the party here, but I think both posts are
really wonderful. Lanmark, your former plant is amazing and I'd never care if it bloomed. The foliage is lovely.

I really like the variegations, especially that one with half green and half yellow.

I still see Kinkounishiki plants with excellent variegation being offered for sale from time to time. I see a lot of them offered with lesser quality variegation, but with time and good culture, the variegation can be improved as the plant grows and multiplies.

I still see Kinkounishiki plants with excellent variegation being offered for sale from time to time. I see a lot of them offered with lesser quality variegation, but with time and good culture, the variegation can be improved as the plant grows and multiplies.

That is a lovely plant. I really like Kinounishiki a lot.

I can't remember where I read this (could have been the Seed Engei site), but that in Japan some of the shima types are preferred with an abundance of fine stripes, Kinkounishiki being one of these. I bought a Kinounishiki from Glen and I chose one where the main growth had fine striping (it was cheaper). This growth has subsequently produced three boldly variegated growths. The other growth that was all green has produced a variegated growth, ... it turned out that this "all green" growth was not all green after all and has subsequently produced a bit of variegation on it's newer leaves. My plant is quite vigorous and I suspect it is because the two older growths have a lot more green on them. So if you want to get another Kinkounishiki, you might consider taking a gamble on one that has lots of fine yellow stripes on a largely green main growth, it might even be cheaper and probably more vigorous.

I have a hunch that with some shima varieties, fine striping on a growth gives a better chance of this growth producing bolder striped growths whereas half yellow, half green growths have a greater probability of producing all yellow or all green growths. I imagine a sort of magnification of a segment of the meristem that produces the new growth, but we can only guess the mixture of "green" and "yellow" in the node meristem, based on the variegation pattern of the growth that produces it. It's unlikely that it's quite as straight forward as I'm suggesting.

Yes, I agree: those with abundant shima stripes (rather than half & half variegation) are very nice as well. It is definitely worth taking a chance on a Kinkounishiki because shima stripes tend to be variable and can improve as the plant grows and multiplies. Kinkounishiki has nice thick leaves, and it's flowers are very nice as well. It's a great variety to grow, and I highly recommend it.

Lately I have been considering getting an Ootakamaru-no-Shima instead of a Kinkounishiki because of its smaller leafspan. Growing space is an issue for me, and I also prefer the smaller varieties anyway. I don't know, however, if this shima version of Ootakamaru blooms as readily as Kinkounishiki does. I already have Ootakamaru and Ootaka-no-Yuki and both are very good growers and very good bloomers.

So I just got my first Kinkou Nishiki.
The main growth has mainly bold yellow, nearly half and half, then it has a bunch of newer growths that are pretty much green with very very subtle shima stripes. Then there is one small growth that are mostly yellow with very little green lines.
This is the fun part, I guess. :)

By the way, so I have read that seed propogation of Shima varieties results in all green plants. But it seems that certain shima varieties are rather common. How is this so??

What would happen if I crossed Kinroukaku and Shima?
Tiger? Plain green? Tiger with Shima (which I saw are quite expensive)? all of them mixed??
I guess one way to find out? ;)

Some shima varieties are simply strong, fast growers and so they are abundantly available.

Crossing Kinroukaku with a shima plant such as Kinkou Nishiki would yield some plain green plants and some tiger plants. Some would probably have salmon or ruby roots as well.

So getting shima out of crossing is very slim and better rely on divisions only?

My Kinroukaku are showing spikes, but not shima. Wait, I think mine is Fujinishiki. Probably won't make much difference anyway, but, I think I'll try anyways.

The best will be, if I'm lucky, tiger shima! :)

Tiger variegation (tora) can be passed on through breeding.

I suppose it's theoretically possible the tendency to eventually mutate to shima (non-marginal stripes) could be inherited, but I've never heard of shima coming true from breeding. Perhaps a few years down the road one or more of your seedlings could start showing signs of shima variegation, but I really don't know whether this is possible.

I have more faith my Kokubotan plant will eventually mutate into something special or produce an offshoot of something special. Kokubotan in and of itself is rather plain, but it carries within itself the remarkable ability to mutate into several other rare and highly valuable varieties. This trait alone is what makes Kokubotan so valuable and why it commands such an incredibly high price. It's not uncommon to see them sold for $1000 - $1500 or more.

I've heard about that variety.
Then, each different growth is given a name, is it right?
I hope yours do some crazy things for you to enjoy. ;)

That's correct...Kokubotan is known to very freely mutate and can transform itself into several different popular and valuable varieties such as Kinbotan or Botan-Nishiki, or it can send up babies of those varieties as well. It's a very unusual plant.

Latest posts

Back