Kinkounishiki

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lanmark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Here's a nicely variegated Neofinetia falcata plant, variety 'Kinkounishiki' with each growth sporting a different pattern of variegation. I've got it mounted on a piece of mopani wood. It gets watered daily.

October272009190.jpg

October27a2009055.jpg

October27a2009014.jpg

October27a2009021.jpg

WOW! I love the foliage but the photography and the foliage you've used as a backdrop has really made a difference as well. The whole thing is impressive.

Stunning pics,great foliage and smart idea to photograph in front of the red leaves. (is it a barberry bush? )

Thanks! :rollhappy:

(is it a barberry bush? )

Bingo! It's a barberry bush in my back yard.

Has it ever bloomed?

Yes it usually blooms once or twice a year. The flowers are generously sized for a Neo, white with traces of pink along the edges and typically deliciously fragrant. It's in short spike now. You can almost see it in the first photo on the foremost fan with leaves half green/half yellow. It's on the left side of the central stem just below the stunted set of leaves ( :eek: I made a booboo last year :p )

Nice variegation on that one - most I've seen here tend to be more green. Do you find it to be very slow growing?

Another one that is just lovely, but damn near impossible to grow is 'Manzuru'. It is the nearly white variant of 'Nishidemiyako' and is a very weak grower. I saw a nice one for sale this weekend for a cool ¥14,000 (about $152), but I didn't buy it since I was warned not to bother. These very white growths occur occasionally on a plant and grow well as long as they remain attached. Once separated they usually go into decline and end up in the trash heap within a couple years.

Thanks NYEric :)

So cool, isn't it, callosum?! :)

KyushuCalanthe, I have seen 'Manazuru' but I wonder if it is the same thing as this 'Manzuru' to which you refer. I thought 'Manazuru' was also a variant of 'Nishidemiyako' but all the plants I have seen are mostly bright yellow (a yellow which is more pale than the shade of yellow on my 'Kinkounishiki') and they are splashed with random stripes of green. There's also a red blush on the central stem (my 'Kinkounishiki' has the central stem red blush too, and it has some nearly 'Manazuru'-looking growths on it as well). I haven't seen any Neo plants around here called 'Manzuru' with nearly white 'Nishidemiyako' type leaves.

All the 'Manazuru' plants I have encountered have been strong and healthy. A friend brought one back from Japan in early 2008 and I wanted to buy it from him but he had purchased it for someone else on request. It was a $750usd plant.

My 'Kinkounishiki' shown here is a very slow grower, but it seems to be strong and it blooms well. It is much larger now than when I first got it, and it has more growths. I'd be afraid to separate off any growths which are mostly pure yellow for fear they wouldn't survive. As a whole, however, I think it's attractive, and I hope it will keep getting bigger and more spectacular as the years go by.

Hey Lanmark, sorry for the typo, yes, early morning answers are troublesome for this aging mind. The correct romanization is indeed 'Manazuru'. These white morphs can occur on lots of fukurin types. 'Nishidemiyako' is famous for its lovely variants, all terribly expensive, and any one of them can give rise to a 'Manazuru' type from time to time.

It is interesting that the plants you've seen all seem healthy and strong. More than one grower here has steered me clear of buying one, so I've desisted, especially at the prices it commands. A couple years back I bought the same kind of chlorophyll poor variant of 'Asahiden' called 'Youmeiden'. It stays alive, but so far is a very poor grower. If it eventually kicks, no problem since it only put me back around $20.

Similarly, a few years back I bought a very pale leafed growth of 'Orihime' - recently divided. Though the plant is healthy, it hasn't grown any larger since I got it.

WOW, those are beautiful leaves. Did you get that from Glen Lehr? If not, and your source was commercial, where did you get it? I was out to Glen Lehr's place a couple years ago, and I was tempted for a minute to switch from slippers to Neofinetia. I realy like the variagates. Thanks for posting.

Again, thanks everyone! :)

Leo, I got this one from Glenn. He's got some awesome plants! I haven't seen another 'Kinkounishiki' like this at Glenn's, but I have seen a couple other plants with similar variegation there bearing different varietal names.

Tom, I had a 'Nishidemiyako' once. It grew and bloomed very well for me. It was big and healthy, but I gave it too much light thus causing the leaves to develop large amounts of purple and red pigments. That spoiled it for me so I gave the plant away. It's still alive and healthy. The person who owns it now gives it less light but many of the leaves are still pigmented from my indiscretion. The plant has since sprouted at least two very white offspring from the base. I have 'Houmeiden' (I don't know if that is the same as 'Youmeiden') and it seems to grow well for me. Actually I think it's a seedling from a selfing of 'Houmeiden'. The root tips are very pink, but the whiteness at the top of the plant is not as pronounced as I think it should be. Still I find it to be very pretty.

Tom, I had a 'Nishidemiyako' once. It grew and bloomed very well for me. It was big and healthy, but I gave it too much light thus causing the leaves to develop large amounts of purple and red pigments. That spoiled it for me so I gave the plant away. It's still alive and healthy. The person who owns it now gives it less light but many of the leaves are still pigmented from my indiscretion. The plant has since sprouted at least two very white offspring from the base. I have 'Houmeiden' (I don't know if that is the same as 'Youmeiden') and it seems to grow well for me. Actually I think it's a seedling from a selfing of 'Houmeiden'. The root tips are very pink, but the whiteness at the top of the plant is not as pronounced as I think it should be. Still I find it to be very pretty.

I had a similar situation starting to happen with 'Higashidemiyako', but only one fan was affected. 'Nishidemiyako' is one of the more collectable fukurin forms, but my favorite of the "cheap" ones is 'Tenkeifukurin' - lovely, even variegation and a good grower to boot.

'Houmeiden' was a plant I really wanted four years ago when I first saw it. The sticker price stopped me from buying one - ¥45,000 (over $450) for a two growth plant. The last couple years getting young meristemmed plants is easy and sort of cheap. I passed one over the other day and it was only ¥3000...maybe I should have bought it! 'Youmeiden' is a pale sport of 'Asahiden'. Here is mine:

FukYoumeiden1107.jpg

The damn thing grows very, very slowly.

The damn thing grows very, very slowly.

:eek: I can see why! It's so pale!

My Houmeiden was not cheap, but a few weeks ago I moved it further from the light. I checked it this morning and saw that the nice creamy white color at the top of the plant is already improving noticeably.

I am amazed -- so many variations and names, and you two seem to know them all, be able to recognize them and describe their unique characteristics. I'm lucky to remember I have Neofinetia falcata!

I am amazed -- so many variations and names, and you two seem to know them all, be able to recognize them and describe their unique characteristics. I'm lucky to remember I have Neofinetia falcata!

There are thousands of accepted fuukiran and many, many more beyond that. At first you think, "what a bunch of plants that look all the same, I don't get it." Then you buy a few. Within a short time you're on your way to yet another addiction - an expensive one at that. I call my fuukiran collection "my bank account".

Latest posts

Back