K-Lite experts, please help

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to post #59.....

we still need to add Mg and consider the amount of Ca but you need a water analysis to fine tune those.
Assuming you wanted to use this combo as is......

grams/kilogram
N = 165
P = 32.5
K = 16
Ca = 142
Fe = .004
Mn = .003
Zn = .005
Cu = .00075
B = .013
Mo = .005
Mg = 0

Add 1kg of the mixture to 100 liters of 0ppm water to make a stock solution.
1kg = 1000g
+
100 liters = 100000g
=
101000 gr
of stock solution containing 165g of N

The stock solution would contain approximately 1650ppm of Nitrogen
Run that through your injector at 50:1 and the irrigation water would have: 33 ppm of Nitrogen
6.5 ppm of Phosphorous
3.2 ppm of Potassium
28.4 ppm of Ca

But there still is no Magnesium so we need to add it either with Magnesium Nitrate or Magnesium Sulfate. And then recalculate the above ppms of the other nutrients.

Are you understanding or confused more?

Assuming he has almost RO grade water quality, I would add enough magsulfate to get 3-5 ppm Mg. He doesn't need to add any more nitrogen to the mix.

Assuming he has almost RO grade water quality, I would add enough magsulfate to get 3-5 ppm Mg. He doesn't need to add any more nitrogen to the mix.

OK let's add 20g of Mg by adding 220g of Magnesium Sulfate to the 100 liter solution.

That should be about 4 ppm of Magnesium and about 6 ppm of Sulfur.

Now will this concentration stay in solution?

OK let's add 20g of Mg by adding 220g of Magnesium Sulfate to the 100 liter solution.

That should be about 4 ppm of Magnesium and about 6 ppm of Sulfur.

Now will this concentration stay in solution?

Whats the concentration of CaSO4 at 50X strength.

Solubility of CaSO4 is about 2000 mg/L David C was getting overnight precip at 1500. At 2000+mg/L it precips much faster.

Rounding off for easy math you came up with a final Ca concentration of about 30 ppm so 50X is 1500ppm

You came up with about 6 ppm sulfur (I think that should be ~18ppm sulfate) so rounding to 20ppm X50 =1000.

2000 ppm of CaSO4 is 571 mg Ca, but 1371 mg/SO4, a bit over 1028 ppm to get the slower precip at 1500 mg/L CaSO4

So it looks like you have enough Ca but not quite enough SO4 to generate gypsum (fast) at 50X

But this is Q&D math

So far....

1000g stock mix
3000g Calcium Nitrate
220g Magnesium Sulfate

1000g of the mixture mixed in 100 liter of water (pure)
and then diluted 50:1
gives a irrigation nutrient solution of:

Nitrogen 33 ppm
Phosphorous 6.5 ppm
Potassium 3.2 ppm
Calcium 28.4 ppm
Magnesium 4.0 ppm
Sulfur 6.0 ppm

Iron 0.44 ppm
Manganese 0.105 ppm
Zinc 0.05 ppm
Copper 0.008 ppm
Boron 0.13 ppm
Molybdenum 0.01 ppm

Someone check and look for errors.

You can test the solubility by mixing
10g of the stock fertilizer + 30 gr Calcium Nitrate + 2.2g Magnesium Sulfate into 1 liter of water.
Mix each one separately in a portion of water (like 3 containers each with 333ml of water). After each one is completely dissolved pour them all together.
Watch to see if anything precipitates (settles) out.

Also check the ppm of this sample solution by diluting it 50:1 with water. That sample will represent what would come out of your injector.

With the concentrate that I make with about 4000 ppm Ca and pH 5.5; I find that 250 ppm S from sulfate will not cause a precipitate while 375 ppm S from sulfate will cause a precipitate.

A portion of leaf tip die-back was as a result of a potting mix which I switched to. I started to use coconut husk chips, as good bark was not available. These coconut chips degraded to a mush over a six month period. The surface of the pot still looked great, but the problem lurked in the bottom of the pot...

Are you using CHC on all your plants that have probles
I've seen smilar problems in Asia due to mix of CHC + Hormons ...

As your fertilizer concentration is so low,I doubt that the problem is caused by it...(but auxins etc...in my opinion can affect the plant even in very small percentage if are active....)

Thanks everybody for all this assistance. Everything seems a lot clearer this morning (Probably because I am drinking coffee and not scotch) Now I feel confident enough to go to the greenhouse and mix up the test solutions and check for precipitation. Looks like I owe you all dinner, perhaps at WOC next year?:)

Are you using CHC on all your plants that have probles
I've seen smilar problems in Asia due to mix of CHC + Hormons ...

As your fertilizer concentration is so low,I doubt that the problem is caused by it...(but auxins etc...in my opinion can affect the plant even in very small percentage if are active....)

I have nearly repotted all the plants that were in CHC, only a hundred or so to go, my job for this afternoon (as a hobby, growing orchids is a lot of work!). I think the leaf tip die back is a combo of the coco husk, high K and the presence of high Cl and F in the council water. My next project is to switch my watering over to RO water completely. My current RO does not supply enough to use pure, I use it to cut the council water in the hope that it at least improves the water quality. I also have a large rainwater tank which I use to add to the whole system to reduce my reliance on the mains water supply, but in winter (our dry season) I am heavily reliant on council water, a situation I badly need to correct.

So let me see if I understand the math here. If I work out the ppm of the solution I used yesterday,
200g stock in 10 litres, run through the injector at 1 in 50 should give me a ppm of arround 77.6?
200g in 10,000g water = 10,200g
198g/kg N = 39,6gN in 10,200g
3882.3 ppm in concentrate
with 1 in 50 dilution = 77.65ppm?

high Cl and F in the council water.

F shouldn't be much more than a ppm or so. It generally only shows up in the drinking water supply as an additive. At neutral to high pH it generally plates out with calcium.

Would really like to see a water chem report for your council water.

So let me see if I understand the math here. If I work out the ppm of the solution I used yesterday,
200g stock in 10 litres, run through the injector at 1 in 50 should give me a ppm of arround 77.6?
200g in 10,000g water = 10,200g
198g/kg N = 39,6gN in 10,200g
3882.3 ppm in concentrate
with 1 in 50 dilution = 77.65ppm?

Yes

Thanks everybody for all this assistance. Everything seems a lot clearer this morning (Probably because I am drinking coffee and not scotch) Now I feel confident enough to go to the greenhouse and mix up the test solutions and check for precipitation. Looks like I owe you all dinner, perhaps at WOC next year?:)

What is the ppm of your scotch? Maybe we need to see what the problem is?
If you are mixing it with water we still need to see that water analysis.
:rollhappy:

Remember that what ever is in your supply water will add to the PPMs in your final irrigation water.

Wheweeee! At long last I am starting to understand this ppm thing! As for mixing my scotch with council water, no way! I bring back water from the farm for that, tastes much better. Tomorrow I will hunt down a water test, and if I cant find a recent one, I will send water away for a test.
Now for that scotch ........

Back