just add ice!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think it's a reference to the just add ice Phals and wondering if anyone has tried it with Paphs

Oh God, I hope not. That is the silliest method of watering orchids that has ever been proposed. In fact it was probably put fourth by vendors trying to increase their sales as a result of dead orchids resulting from applications of ice.

Silly things for lazy people. Once you can't take good care you better try another hobby, that's my humble opinion.

I did ice before it was cool!

I've poured glass fulls of ice (used) on orchids. Seemed like a good way to ditch the ice. Doesn't hurt the plant or roots. But it doesn't help either, ice cubes contain very little water.

I would never ice my sweeties, I like them tttooooo much!!!! I have a few bulbos -dendrobiums and an angraecum ice would destroy them

The just add ice promo was started by the parent company/employer of my former Head Grower. It was designed to address the real problem of box store plants packaged in plastic cache-pots with no drainage holes.

Lots of box store small plants were/(are?) put into these right before being put on a cart and trucked to stores. People couldn't see the 'no holes' or didn't know how to deal with it, especially box store plant caretakers.

It's extremely difficult to overwater a phal in spagnum doing this; is it a good idea? Though creative, likely not. I had heard of a few people including maybe my mother who did this for a short time.

What was my reaction when I heard that my bosses company was suggesting this?

:eek:

I don't know if the sellers wanted the solid cache pots because of the stores or the buyers? ????? I've since learned that there is a great deal of politics involved with box stores and suppliers, and between the suppliers who are allowed to vend in the stores

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back