Judging Discussion

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was surprised to find discussion. I thought AOS judges are not supposed to talk about AOS stuff. Anyway, it is fun to discuss this matter.

I was in the AOS judging system for about 12 years, not too long. But I noticed that to be a good judge, it is a combination of innate ability and also training. There were quite a few people whom I believe should not be elevated to be a fully accredited judges. Every center is different, none has the same criteria. The knowledge and quality of the judges are also different considerably. For example, when I just joined my second center, I witness a a prob judge who was on the verge of getting elevated to fully accredited who was not able to discern between miniature cattleyas and Dendrobium cuberthsonii. It was very discouraging! He became a fully accredited judge anyway, and over the years, his performance was a joke to say the least.
However, some of the students in the same region were amazing, better than most accredited judges anywhere in the US.

I am not a commercial grower, therefore, I do not see the reason of getting an award from AOS. I know which ones of my plants that are of award quality. I can be very objective. When I judged, I always used this rule: If I am going to spend, say, $500, will I pay for this particular plant? What is the chance of this plant of getting an AM? I do not follow AOS scoring chart. Who cares. If I thought the plant was of AM quality, I just gave 80 something...depending whether it was a low AM or high AM. I did not spend a lot of time like most judges try to be exact...It was a waste of time!

For a more specific question, does your judging center look at plants under natural sunlight, high quality artificial light, or just standard room lighting?

The center/judges I frequent makes a big point of taking plants outside to see what they look like in good sunlight. So in some cases, the plant could be at the mercy of cloudy or cold weather for the judges to get that "good look".

Most people do take outside or look under incandescent light. For me, it is the last thing that I will do. I will look the shape, etc, color is the last consideration. It is the same like when you judge women. How beautiful the color of the make up will not improve their look if they are actually ugly.

Latest posts

Back