Je suis Charlie!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never heard the phrase but ditto! This particular division of a certain major worldwide religion is anything but tolerant and don't care about offending to insist on toeing to their line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never heard of it either, so thank you. :)

I've never heard the phrase but ditto! This particular division of a certain major worldwide religion is anything but tolerant and don't care about offending to insist on toeing to their line

I don't care which major religion the intolerance comes from (tolerance and religion does not go well together in my mind), I just hate intolerance and narrow mindedness in general.

Je suis Charlie refers to the attack in Paris on a satirical
magazine that killed 12 members of the magazine's staff and two policepersons. The last report I heard put the death toll at 17. The attack was a direct assault on the freedom of speech and print and thus an attack on all those countries who have managed through centuries of
conflict to ensure that freedom.

Good explanation, Angela. I think it has also come to represent opposition to hate of ethnic groups, because of the attack on the kosher grocery store in Paris.

I can't believe people haven't heard of these things.

I don't watch news or read papers if I can help it, though I had heard on radio about attacks and do sympathize for the many in many nations who have been kidnapped into brutal slavery in Nigeria (schoolgirls taken from school and being sold into sex slavery) and those being murdered for no real reason at all. I hadn't heard the phrase je suis Charlie but do sympathize completely with all who have suffered and who will suffer

The name Charlie come from the name of the satiric magazine called Charlie Hebdo. Even if some people working for the magazine were under police protection because of threats, 2 men attacked on January 7. The phrase"Je suis Charlie" appeared on the web the same day.

The attack on the kosher grocery store (one of the 2 attacks that day) had been 2 days later.

According to one terrorist, those 3 events could be related to al-Qaeda.

You know, for France, it is somewhat like the events of Sept. 11 2001. For me it is an other important attack against the democratic world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Hebdo_shooting

Erythrone, thank you for the further elaboration. The
phrase Je suis Charlie has become a symbol for all freedom
loving nations to stand together against repression of free
speech and the freedom of ideas.

Still wondering why my text has been deleted. Must have to do with free speach then...

Good explanation, Angela. I think it has also come to represent opposition to hate of ethnic groups, because of the attack on the kosher grocery store in Paris.

I can't believe people haven't heard of these things.
I had heard about it, but no specifics because I didn't want know about them. I've isolated myself from the world because I'm still struggling with depression and hearing things like this only makes it worse. It only confirms to me that Homo sapiens has to be the most stupid creature to ever walk on the face of this planet, and that I should really look into building a space station on the Moon to get away from all of it.

That's why I prefer to live mostly in ignorance until I can deal with the outside world again.

Bad news, you would have homo sapiens on the moon then! - Je suis Charlie!
Only me and my friends. I'll be dictator there and choose which ones can live with me and which ones can't.

I can always dream, right? :wink:

Dictatorship..-Sig Heil!! Doesn't sound good to me.
There's dictatorship and then there's dictatorship, you know. :poke: Not like all the kings we had before were complete maniacs and many of them were in essence dictators.

Maybe the proper term would be 'autocracy', with me as the ruler. That better? :poke:

Back