Japan Grand Prix International Orchid Festival

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
OK, it took me over a month to get off my butt and make this video. Hope you Enjoy it. The show was amazing, as always.

Japan Grand Prix International Orchid Festival

BeautifulBedroomSM.jpg

Wonderful exhibition ! Thank you for sharing all these beauties !!

Envoyé de mon Nexus 9 en utilisant Tapatalk

:drool:

Uhhhhhh thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Thanks everyone. It is always an amazing show to see. I'll be making a video soon of a smaller show that happened here in Fukuoka a month later. The plants there were just as incredible - just fewer of them.

The grand champion was Dendrobium glomeratum 'Long Well' (#28 in the vid), entered by Mr. Nagai of Kanagawa Prefecture.

You can check out this website for more about the show including past winners, though most of it is in Japanese: http://www.jgpweb.com/history/

Wow, very nice video! Thank you. Do they have fragrance competition? I saw a banner saying something about fragrance near Shiseido booth (I think it was around 3-4 min from the beginning).

Yes, there is a fragrance division. From the show's website the categories are:

Division I: Individual, Division II: Fragrance, Division III: Display, Division IV: Flower Arrangement, Division V: Arts and Division VI: Miniature Orchid Garden

If I remember correctly, there were Cym. goeringii (Chinese ones) and native Calanthe (probably C. izu-insularis) in the fragrance division. It was a big show and I didn't photograph everything. In fact I included about only 2/3 of the video/photos I took in the video.

Actually, there weren't that many. There was one Seikai that was really big, and I even photographed it.

Really? I figured there would be a lot of Neos, too, especially since they aren't grown only for their flowers. Have there been more at this show in years past, or don't you know?

Maybe for Neos it's just better to attend a dedicated Fukiran show.

Really? I figured there would be a lot of Neos, too, especially since they aren't grown only for their flowers. Have there been more at this show in years past, or don't you know?

Maybe for Neos it's just better to attend a dedicated Fukiran show.

Interesting. I thought the video showed lots of den. Moniliformes.

I think there are more Dendrobium moniliforme because growers are successful at force blooming them whereas neos can't be force bloomed that early. There also were quite a few native Calanthe in flower, but honestly you could tell the plants were stressed and didn't look that great overall. Cymbidium goeringii also forces well, so there were tons of them, both Japanese and Chinese plants.

If memory serves, there weren't a lot of neos at the 2010 show either (the only other time I went). I do remember seeing a huge clump of Kinkujaku that show. I would say there were no more than 20 or so neos this time, though I didn't look closely. I guess I'm just spoiled, having seen greenhouses full of them in flower before. Poor me:D

Back