Issue with multis - leaf flopping over

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silence882

Horse whisperer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had some issues in the past with the newest leaves on Paph multis flopping over. I recently got a new roth and sure enough, the newest leaf is now flopping over. I repotted it today so I know the roots are good. It's been getting consistent water so I am at a loss. Has anyone else had this problem?

Here's a pic for reference:

--Stephen

This is pretty common with healthy plants that are growing fast, particularly in the larger growing multiflorals. The plant looks quite healthy, the overall color is good, and you can see the floppy leaf is lighter colored near the center of the plant -- all indications of a plant in rapid, active growth.

Once the leaf finishes maturing a bit, it will begin to hold itself up, so I think you're all good.

My multis do this occasionally, especially roths. I stake them temporarily so they get maximum sunlight and remove the stake when the leaves are rigid enough to support themselves. No problems thus far.

My Michael Koopowitz, Philippinese, William Ambler and Lowii often do this. The leave will get firm after it grows bigger or a new leave comes out. I think it is common for mutis.

Most if not all of my multi's do this while the leaves are growing. Eventually the leaves will become erect. I don't consider this a problem.

Congratulations! Your leaf grows fast! When leaves are fast growing they flop over. This is somehow a bit cyclic and you may experience it for a number of species. Eg. lowii. I measured the growth speed of such a leaf once and got 1.77mm a day over a period of two weeks or so. Amazing. Needless to say that the leaf stiffened up and became upright by its own - without staking etc.

I believe that even though when this happens it usually rectifies itself it is not normal plant behavoir and idealy should not happen no matter how fast it is growing. Something is not right!
My theory: Either too much N or not enough K to balance it.

Probably having some normal wind in a growing area might help stiffen things up, as a plants reaction to this movement is to be a bit shorter and stiffer. Not sure if that would cure, but it's likely we don't have as much air movement as in these plants natural environment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with all of you. My roths do this sometimes. In nature the wind helps to stabilize the cell structure of the leaf tissue, as said by cnycharles.

I believe that even though when this happens it usually rectifies itself it is not normal plant behavoir and idealy should not happen no matter how fast it is growing. Something is not right!

Probably having some normal wind in a growing area might help stiffen things up, as a plants reaction to this movement is to be a bit shorter and stiffer. Not sure if that would cure, but it's likely we don't have as much air movement as in these plants natural environment

As most have said... this is pretty common, often corrects itself, rarely a real problem. I would still look at nutrients and air movement as suggested, and also consider cooler night temps and addition of silicon.

I saw this problem more frequently when using regular MSU than Klite so I don't think your problem is inadequate K.

Ca is responsible for cell wall integrity and leaf stiffness, and is generally harder / slower to get into plants. Especially when K, or ammonium is high. Silicon also lends to leaf stiffness, but is not as universally found in plants or in the environment as calcium

In general this is a common occurrence and not necessarily a problem. I agree its mostly a symptom of fast growth, but I think you could cut N down and see less of this.

I saw this a lot in lowii seedlings with and without high K, but it's rare for me to see it now that I've cut nitrogen application to around 5ppm (K is less than 1ppm now).

Thanks everyone for the input!

I have put in a stake for the leaf to lean against so it's mostly upright and can catch the light (and because it looks funny flopped over). I have a pretty strong fan blowing in my rather small grow area since I'm a big fan of air movement. I fertilize occasionally with either MSU or K-lite.

Since this seems to be a pretty common occurrence, I'm not gonna worry about it.

Why grow multis anyway!? :evil:

I wanted to branch out from something other than boring old besseae hybrids.

This happens to me as well. It has to do with the lower light intensity during this time of the year. Just stake it and add more lighting.

This happens to me as well. It has to do with the lower light intensity during this time of the year. Just stake it and add more lighting.

I have an Aerides falcata in a basket doing this right now. It did not happen last year and nothing that I can think of really changed. Certainly not light or air movement. Its a bit of a mystery. Maybe too much N combined with lower light? Come to think of it we have had a lot of cloudy days this spring. Maybe one sunny day per week.

I saw this problem more frequently when using regular MSU than Klite so I don't think your problem is inadequate K.

Yes I doubt you would see it when plants are being fed almost nothing. They will grow much harder.

Ca is responsible for cell wall integrity and leaf stiffness

Well K is resposible for leaf stiffness/turgidity by controlling water movement.

In general this is a common occurrence and not necessarily a problem

If it's a common occurrence then it's a problem. Its not common for me but I do have one orchid doing it at the moment.

I agree its mostly a symptom of fast growth, but I think you could cut N down and see less of this.

Quite possible

I get this feeling that we have to avoid fast growth because it is unsighty????
Has anyone checked whether or not this is natural and is the "norm" in nature?

Back