Is it worth another blooming...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bench72

Hi all, I've read and heard many people say that when it comes to complex, you either get a good one or most often than not, you get a real dog...

so, my search for a green Paph has brought me to this plant which I got two years ago and here is it's first blooming...

Will it get better on subsequent blooming or should I just 'move it on' at the next society meeting?

Paph Tea For Two 'Tea Time' x Lippewunder
2551024854_282f3fd969.jpg

As you can see, it's got fangs and not altogether symmetrical... the left side got caught in the leaves and well doesn't seem to have opened as much as the other side... anyhooo...

keeper or not?

cheers
tim

Personally, I'd give it another blooming. But if it turned out the same way on the next round, I'd probably find another home for it.

Honest opinion, it would be better in someone elses house. Complex hybrids can improve on subsequent flowerings but I think this one has too much to make up to be any good.

I would agree with this.

I would bloom it one more time to see if you like the shape any better, color intensity & shape is what will vary the most between blooming, color pattern is fairly constant. If you don't like the color pattern, move it on.

But when moving on this plant - try to do so in bloom, or with a photo of this flowering - so people know what they are getting.

The symmetry could improve...that's something that can frequently vary between blooms. The "fangs" on the pouch are another thing. (I call them pimples...). I have never seen those disappear....they vary with each blooming in position and quantity, but a pimply paph will always be a pimply paph. Take care, Eric

Thanks for all the input everyone...

There's always a couple of folks at my orchid society meeting who ask about the various slippers I bring in during the meetings. I figure this would be a good one to give away so that they can learn that it isn't so hard to grow these types of Slipper Orchids. You never know, they might end up being another slipper nut!

Also, the meeting is in two weeks so the flower should still be on the plant and whoever gets it will still be able to enjoy it for at least another month after that.

cheers
tim

Haha, well, I call them 'pimples' when they're down at the bottom of the pouch around the 'chin' area, and 'fangs' when they're on the edge of the lip like this...pimples don't always repeat, but I would probably pass it on (with a picture) and not wait to see if the fangs disappear...

I figure this would be a good one to give away so that they can learn that it isn't so hard to grow these types of Slipper Orchids. You never know, they might end up being another slipper nut!

Also, the meeting is in two weeks so the flower should still be on the plant and whoever gets it will still be able to enjoy it for at least another month after that.

cheers
tim
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and a "newbie" will not be as finicky as us "experts", so I think your passing it on while in bloom is a great idea. Personally, I would give it one more blooming though.

VERY hard to overcome any kind of crippling like that in complex.. size of segments and flower overall, stem height and color etc.. can all get better on future bloomings. but the crippling is tuff.

Latest posts

Back