Is it a goner?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlosaw

Reaction score
Hi All...

Found this guy in my greenhouse has developed some rot. Removed it from growing area to evaluate.

I’ve been reading about Dragons Blood and some other remedies on here. Is it worth chasing it, or ship it to compost?

Thanks.
Jeremy
dfbd71c9058891b3c79aef80907221b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All...

Is it worth chasing it, or ship it to compost?

I agree that it is probably dead. And if it does somehow stop rotting and survive (I would be amazed), it will take years to recover. I think the real question here is - is it worth it to you to chase it? If it was especially rare or valuable, I might scramble to try and save it (cause then it would be worth the effort/wait). Otherwise, it's probably easier to get rid of it and find a replacement.

What is it?

Sorry, it's too late to get ahead of the infection. I think the more important question is why did this happen, and if it happened to this one, are others at risk? In years past, if I found something like this it was because of too much water or not enough air circulation. It was rarely confined to just one plant. Mike

Thanks for the input.

It is a seedling from Hadley Cash’s breeding.

I lost a fan that blows directly over my Paph bench about 6 weeks ago. Then I left town for a couple of weeks and I know we had some cold temps while the in-laws were in town and before I had fired up the heater for the season.

So. Fortunately there is probably a correlation there, and nothing in the vicinity seems to be showing symptoms.

ebd0a73c1fbe417219ae250a8ed1d1a9.jpg

I lost a fan that blows directly over my Paph bench about 6 weeks ago. Then I left town for a couple of weeks and I know we had some cold temps while the in-laws were in town and before I had fired up the heater for the season.

Yep... that'll do it. Fingers crossed that you don't have any more develop problems.

I am not much for bulldogs myself, that is a nice shade of red though! It looks like a replacement wouldn't be that expensive, so unless this is of particular sentimental value to you, it might not be worth waiting years for recovery.

Whatever your decision, good luck! :)

Still here..

Got another fan going where the old one died so that should help dry them out. And I have some Dragons Blood on the way.

Should be a good little experiment.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

how's it doing?

Hard to say just yet. Got the dragons blood dabbed on it last week and moved it to a windowsill inside. Seems to be stable.

Not totally sure how to water it. Was thinking about keeping it fairly dry for the time being.

Agreed it will take a while. Not sure if it is worth it but an interesting experiment to try in case one of my nicer ones gets sick.

Latest posts

Back