interesting kovachii hybrid potting

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I received two kovachii hybrids in trade from someone a year or so ago, and both were sort of growing out of their pots. The one labeled kovachii x longifolium flowered nicely and then was a bit high over the media and dried out a little bit and wasn't happy. the other was labeled kovachii x eric young, and was quite high out of the pot and didn't look as happy as the other, but would consistently try to make new buds, but being in the air the leads would dry up. Finally last week as I was trying to repot everything and get most of what I could in the new orchiata-base media, I took the kovachii x eric young and dumped all the old media. It has lots of roots on the lower stem, but then quite a gap between these roots and a few leaves, and then the upper area that had a good number of new roots and leaves, plus new shoots. It would have been very difficult to put this plant in a regular pot as it would have to be very tall, but then the lower growth would be buried in the pot. There weren't new upper roots to try to cut it in half and make two plants. I looked around and found a half-gallon plastic orange juice container, so I decided to try and make a semi-hydro pot, but have the plant on it's side mostly, with the new growths just inside the media with the new buds about an inch down inside. The pot has slits in the sides for more air to get in, and a drain hole on one end to let excess water out. We'll see if this plant will sink or swim! If the new leads come out and make new roots, then maybe I will cut it in two and see if the lower half with lots of roots will make some new leads

phragxrepot112.JPG

questions, comments and concerns are always welcome, and usually expected! ;) it was one of those what-the-heck situations, not knowing what else to do

I'm just happy to see that you still have them alive. I'm trying baskets with mixed media in cluding live moss for some phrags and paphs.

I acquired a Walter Schomburg a while ago which was a large plant anyway. It had one large growth with the new flowering growth a few inches higher. As this was proud of the pots I was using the roots could not get a grip on the medium and I could see the plant struggling. It has now also thrown a new growth about an inch higher and is trying to establish new roots so I purchased some deep pots, just enough to cover with medium to the base of the new latest growth. The oldest growth is 3-4 inches down, is in rockwool and I've had no problems to date. This was about a month ago, and new roots are developing fast. I only water about once a week now as it is our winter, so let the medium dry out slightly.

Gary
UK

Latest posts

Back