Interesting hybrids of Paph. vietnamense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

ORG

Here 3 attractive hybrids of Paphiopedilum vietnamense

PaphiopedilumWssnerVietnamGold-arme.jpg

Paphiopedilum Wössner Vietnam Gold
armeniacum X vietnamense

PaphiopedilumWssnerVietnamLove-micr.jpg

Paphiopedilum Wössner Vietnam Love
micranthum X vietnamense

PaphiopedilumFranzFuchs-Transvaa-2.jpg

PaphiopedilumFranzFuchs-Transvaa-1.jpg

Paphiopedilum Franz Fuchs
Transvaal X vietnamense

With best greetings from Bavaria

Olaf

The love bug of cource! Herby!

It seems vietnamense is not dominant in shape except for the staminode. It does seems to have a spreader gene for color.

the cross with armeniacum does however not look like having any of the vietn. coloring , even not in the pouch!!! Jean

That's true Jean but the yellow isn't armeniacum's either. You may notice that I said "a spreader gene for color" but I didn't say any color in particular.;)

I have a 2nd vietn. plant just about to open its bloom: first thing to see is a lot of dark red (or whatever you would call this coloring:)) on pouch and petal ends, and this is what I missed with the armeniacum cross. Nevertheless it is a flower that I would be very happy to have here :):)!!! Jean

I have a 2nd vietn. plant just about to open its bloom: first thing to see is a lot of dark red (or whatever you would call this coloring:)) on pouch and petal ends, and this is what I missed with the armeniacum cross. Nevertheless it is a flower that I would be very happy to have here :):)!!! Jean
I would be happy if you were to share it with me too:D

I have a question for the experts. Overall, how does vietnamense campare to delenatii in breeding? Similar results, or are there notable differences?

I have a question for the experts. Overall, how does vietnamense campare to delenatii in breeding? Similar results, or are there notable differences?

What I have noticed, is that delenatii tends to wash out the colors of it's hybrids. vietnamense does not do this, it either keeps the colors of the other parent, or intensifies them. Also when you compare vietnamense crosses with the same crosses made with delenatii, the vietnamense crosses have much larger flowers.
Draw backs of vietnamense crosses that I have seen, are that the flowers are not as long lasting compared to delenatii crosses, and that the petals tend to get floppy.

Robert

Even the non-Antec Lab crosses?

How about a little critical thinking here. What is the empiracal basis for this question? How would you know which came from AnTec and which did not? Being the one person who knows how many Paph. vietnamense flasks and Paph. Ho Chi Minh flasks came from AnTec and where they went, I would estimate that a minimum of 95% of the vietnamense and 90% of the Ho Chi Minhs people claimed were from AnTec were imported, and that is a very conservative estimate. Based on all the comments and the "wink-wink"s it's hard to believe anyone doesn't realize this, not to mention all the flowering plants and even second generation flowering plants that appeared within just a couple months of the flasks. This lack of of critical thinking before posting is one of the reasons so many people who could contribute get turned off to participating in these forums.

Re Paph. delenatii, it suppresses expression of all yellow and green pigments except on the staminodal shield, while vietnamense definitely does not suppress all yellow, I am not certain about green.

Latest posts

Back