insigne that is not

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trithor

Chico (..... the clown)
Reaction score
About 4 years ago I bought an insigne seedling. I paid a high price for it, as the breeding was to offer a possibility of a big improvement over the plant that I already had. After about 6 months it was plainly obvious that it was not an insigne. At long last it has flowered, and hey presto! a multifloral insigne!
Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Looks like a kolo/kolo hybrid. Need close up to determine. But as for the current view from here. It is nice.

That's a real monster 'insigne' indeed.. Quick, return the plant to the vendor for compensation.. :D :p Looks like kolo the species..

:rollhappy: I bought it at a roadside stall in Kalimantatan, about as far from anywhere as you could possibly get. I was there to visit a logging company when we were still importing timber. The plant was in a coconut shell, planted in plain soil, and had rotted away that it was about the size od a seedling. The only book in our possession with any orchid pictures showed spicerianum and insigne, a few oncidiums and cats, the rest were trees and ferns. The stall owner pointed out the insigne as being the flower, but quite obviously even to me, that was impossible. I was given the plant when we paid ridiculous prices for a bag of sugar, some salt and a couple packets of biscuits which looked like they dated back to the 2nd world war (and later proved to be inedible). To be honest I was hoping that it would be something new, or even a stonei, but I am happy to settle for an insigne that is a kolo.

Did you go to one of the border market? I have a friend who lives in Kuching and travels all over the place in Malay/Asia and he finds terrific
orchids at the border markets. Usually mislabeled, but dirt cheap!

So, is this your start of a multi floral collection? finally?

(sweet deal. Next time I'm in Kalimantatan I hope I get such deal!)

So, is this your start of a multi floral collection? finally?

(sweet deal. Next time I'm in Kalimantatan I hope I get such deal!)

Yup, watch this space, finally branching out from Maudiae types into multis!
Trust me, it was not such a sweet deal, the biscuits were inedible and the sugar tea, coffee and salt not much better (you have to understand how desperate we were for those items, the sick plant was really an oddity)

Latest posts

Back