info about lowii, godefroyae, hainense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegruppy

Reaction score
hi friends, i bought some new paphios which arrived home today. I'm not very expert (I only know maudiae hybrids well) and I would like some more information on godefroyae, lowii, hainense. any advice is welcome

For lowii, I believe they like to dry a little between waterings so one has to be careful not to keep the media constantly wet. I grow mine in 60-100 ųmol/m2 PPFD, 12 hrs a day. I think you could go higher than that but double check other sources.

I haven't grown the other two so will defer to the experts here.

hainanense (appletonianum) grows just like Maudiae.

Godefroyae (or leucochilum, or... taxonomy is weird) is a bit on the drier side. I grow them with all of the maudiae types but use the next size up for bark mix. Seems to work pretty well. I've found that some plants grow better than others, even out of the same flask, so you might want to try several of them. I lose about 25%.

If you are successful with Maudiae tyeps, then all three you mention should do just fine under the same conditions.
Of three, leucochilum can seem very slow until it has bloomed at least twice. The warmer the better if you can provide the right temperature.
The other two species need moderate temp to slightly cooler where you feel comfortable.

Simple habitat info to help you figure out the type of potting mix and watering frequenceis, hainanense is a forest floor dweller with dead leaves and other plant debris that are almost moist and often sopping wet.
Leucochilum often grow on rock crevices with some organic material and with/without soil.
Lowii is widely distributed so it's hard to generalize but that means it's probably not as picky. They are found growing on mossy rock or even up in the trees. Very humid and rainy often.
If you are indoor grower like me, I'd just pot them all in mid sized bark chips with or without inorganic mix together and just focus on proper watering amount and frequencies. If you have high humidity environments like grow tent, greenhouse and some kind of chambers, then a different story and more fun to play around.
All are relatively fuss free easy plants, so good luck!!

Latest posts

Back