In vitro propagation of Calypso bulbosa

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I expect baby blooming one week ahead

6823198604_b4de716fcb_b.jpg

First invitro self made Calypso baby is now blooming. Seeds from California.

a nice guy I think.

6996773733_9bd79c52b1_b.jpg

The fat spur

6996773389_caedc9b369_b.jpg

This plant is very far from home!!

I think it is about the same distance from Your home base to Germany and to the home base of that Calypso variation in California.

But You have in Your area a similar variation of Calypso, even nicer.

Congrats to get this seedling to bloom Berthold,
now the clones should be growing and blooming I hope

Actually this looks like the v. occidentalis and therefore would be from Eastern Siberia thru Korea. :confused:

Yes it is var. occidentalis but it is also growing in California and BC /Canada.

it grows in western rockies, and then east of rockies can be found the calypso var. americana. it used to be in vermont and upstate ny, but logging cedar forests removed most of it, and spots that used to have them in vermont it's very hard to find (or people won't give out accurate location information). one problem in vermont is that many back roads don't have accurate names, or no signs. if you get directions from someone that hasn't actually been to the area in a while, the names slide around so that you can end up in the wrong spot. again, maybe they don't want me wandering around and stepping on plants

actually, my sister was hiking in rockies somewhere a while back, and thinks she saw what was a var. occidentalis flowering, and she scooped it up, took it home and put it in a pot :( . she was offended when I told her that it should have been left there, and she could get in trouble and i if she sent it to me; I guess there were thousands where she was so she just thought it was another lily of the valley or something like that. one difference is that many plants and such out west where the bureau of land management is in charge, things can be collected and used for medicinal/herbal use, without the restrictions that there are in this eastern neck of the woods, so maybe there it wasn't that big of a deal. the eastern ones are very rare in this area and i think i'd shoot someone if i saw them dig one up... of course i'd have to find one first before that could happen :rollhappy:

Back