In-Situ P. sukhakulii pics??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Has anyone ever come across pics of Paph sukhakulii in the wild?

For a species that's been so recently discovered (1965), from a friendly country that even has a national park in its home range, I'm surprised that every pic of this very popular species I've seen is a plant in cultivation.

I think someone posted a link here to a website in Thailand where a nursery owner organizes tours to see orchids in the wild. I think it was somewhere around the latter half of the year. I did see sukhakulii there, along with bellatulum and others...

I found one picture of a suk on this site, and it was a shot of one of their greenhouse plants. Do you know which gallery any insitu pics are in?

I found one picture of a suk on this site, and it was a shot of one of their greenhouse plants. Do you know which gallery any insitu pics are in?

Go to Gallery "March 2011 - The East", once there, on the top of the page, go to page # 2.. there you have the Paph sukhakulii pics!

One of those pics look like its growing on the side of a living tree trunk. The others look like the soil would be rich decomposing wood and leaves.

I know that some of the writen soil descriptions are "sandy loam" which would be pretty dense compared to a typical orchid mix.

Some of the best growing suks I've seen where in "potting" soil growing on window sills:confused:

Is anyone is going to the WOC in Singapore next November? - one of the post conference tours for delegates is going to Thailand and on this tour members are taken to see the site where these photos were taken!

Ok

I picked up a small compot of suks from Troy's and there were 8 in the pot big enough for individual potting.

I set up 4 in Birk's "pretty good" mix , heavy on the sand. The other 4 in a mix of potting mix, sand, and clay balls.

I'll have to be very judicial about watering the potting mix plants, but I've had some practice with a couple of delanatii I got from Matt Gore (I think this is the 3rd winter in the same mix). They are doing great.

Back