In-Charm Grace 'Mary-Margaret'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Brian Monk

A cool little plant, In-Charm White x niveum. Another bloom to come, and three new growths. I hope it fills the pot in another 2 years!

Thos flower is only 8 x 5.5 cm. Would you breed with it??

Second photo i from last year. The puch still has a defect...Hmmmm...

incharmgrace2011.jpg

incharmgrace.jpg

Its very lovely but why would you want to use it in hybridizing? I don't mean the question in a negative way (as is, its so ugly don't breed with it) but rather how could you hope to improve the flower? Do you think you could improve on it? what characters does it have which would be nice in other plants?

You mention the size as 8 x 5.5 cm which I assume you mean as small. Well, for size, what about using Paph Color my world "Shocker" as a parent to increase the size. The niveum would was out the godefroyae in the cross. Alternatively, you could use a big and shapely green such as Jolly Green Gem.

How would you like to see the plant improved?

Tyrone -

Excellent point, and I should explain my goals since nothing happens in a vacuum. Personally, I am not breeding for "traditional" Paph standards, as I am not trying to \create larger complex whites, better BRachys, etc. These things have already been done and much better than I could hope to accomplish. I am trying to breed sequential and multifloral whites, much like my icon, which is Nimit. These means intersectional crosses, such as Brachy x Cochlo. I believe that despite the genetic barriers to breeding "novelty" Paphs, that there is real possibility in this direction. After all, breeding for whites was considered an impossibility until F.C.Puddle was found.

I am trying to breed sequential and multifloral whites, much like my icon, which is Nimit.

Hmm... Thats tough. Some strains of niveum and concolor are multifloral but you are going to lose size. As this is already a bit complex the concolor may introduce some pink which would not be white. Using alba or flava forms of primulinum may be a good idea. This is making some well formed flowers and conferring a multifloral potential. See http://www.orchidsonline.com.au/node/5438.

Rather than mess with the genetics by introducing primulinum I would go the long way round and use the wild-type multifloral niveum pollen and pod parent and see where that goes. You will lose size but by clever crossing (i.e. using Nimit x niveum to out cross to in the next generation) you could arrive at larger and more flowers. This is just a notion. Someone with more experience in doing the crossing will need to vet my ideas.

tt4n

Well, I am not certain that crossing this onto a smaller niveum will result int he hybrid I am looking for. Besides, Hadley Cash has that line of hybridizing locked up! Primulinum is already in Nimit, and I am looking for better shape while maintaining the flower count of Nimit. BTW, my nimit is currently holding three flowers & two buds on two spkies, and has already lost three flowers during the early part of its bloom. With good culture & some luck, I shouldl be able to get at least one or two more flowers out of each spike on this blooming, and maybe even have another growth produce an inflorescence before the older spikes are done. THAT is the kind of prospective hybrid I like, and I am hoping to further this. As far as muddying the genetic waters, there is no question that it has already been done. Again, I point to complex Paphs. There is no question that they are close to their peak, but this took thousands of crosses, many of which were dead-ends. I am just going down a different road in the same car.

I do like your Nimit. If I had an alba primulinum I might try explore that route as well. With white I'm more interesting in exploring the Muriel Hollington path of simply elegant whites. For multiflorals I have my topperi and alba roebelenii standing by. But that Nimit does look good.

For what it's worth, the Nimit is not an album, it just derives its white color from the anthocyanin suppressive effects of nuveum. Check out the pics of Nimit in the new post.

I love that flower, great shape and spotting!

I wouldn't cross it with a straight primulinum. How about those pale Avalon Mist that are around? Much larger.
Wild Thing album, Incharm Maid,... or just a nice Transvaal. With so much niveum in your plant I'd expect that cross to come out with a pretty clear white base colour.

Latest posts

Back