impressive NOID

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone out there may recognize the below plant.

Noid_Paph_1.jpg

The flowers fade to a nice yellow, they have just opened recently. One of the fans has three flowers on one stem. Only four are open in the photo my father sent me. These are large flowers. Bigger than 12 cm wide and, when not jammed so close together, open up almost flat. It is a stunning plant and would love a name to go with it. I think it is an old hybrid. It was sold tag-less at a flea market. The seller was selling plant he had inherited. Out of the same collection came a Winston Churchill Indomitable (which Faan picked up, just his luck he got their first).

Thanks

P.S. When my dad got it had one flower on the plant and potted in potting soil. It is now in pure sand stone gravel. There was some leaf litter mixed in but that has all rotted away. Fertilizer: Neutrog Bounce. Not bad going for a virtually inert potting medium. And what a show for all that fertilizer.

I have seen that years ago, but I don't remember the name. Vintage paph for sure, I would say US breeding, Armacost and Royston, but for the name... South Africa got a lot of impressive vintage orchid collections that disappeared slowly but surely over the decades.

How big is that flower? If it is on the small for a complex size range, say less than 12 cm natural spread, there is a chance it is a complex x cochlopetalum type hybrid.

A classic, that this flower could be would be Gwenda Overett (Cherokee x primulinum) registered 2 decades ago. Or it could be a more recent of this type like Avalon Love Stone (Stone Lovely x Avalon Mist) 2010 where Avalon Mist is (primulinum x Pinocchio). I have had Avalon Love Stone throw 3 flowers on a stem. Most are not quite that full and round, but the best of them are. The size of my Avalon Stone Love was just over 11 cm natural spread on a first bloom seedling.

If your flower is significantly bigger than that, I couldn't guess what the cross it.

It reminds me of my Satin Stone (Satin Veil'Butterscotch' x Stone Lovely 'Butterpuff') It not in bloom now but it was a huge flower and turned yellow as it aged.

Hello,

Paph Vintage Harvest seems the best all round guess. I have did a quick search on Google which shows some aged flowers which exactly as I recall the flowers the last time the plant flowered. It is certainly not Gwenda Overett and Avalon Love Stone is too recent.

Mike Byren used to import lots of Paphs from Radcliffe's and the US so if Vintage Harvest was a popular item 20 years ago then it is probably that. I will pick his brain at the next orchid meeting.

Thanks

Hi,

I did some digging in Vintage Harvest's background and arrive at the following:
vintage_harvest.png

While druyi was only used once as a parent its influence runs right through the plant explaining the nice color and open shape. The villosum/spicerianum explains the size. The fairy is in there too, only once, but a fairy influence is apparent from the pic. No sign of cochlopetalum but there is a shot of belletalum which was fed into the plant twice via Paph Olive. Where the double blooming comes from I'm not sure... but I have seen double blooming insigne.

I think Vintage Harvest explains the traits observed in the plant. I found some pics of some of the ancestors in this cross and they display many of the features I would have attributed to a cochlopetalum influence (such as the daintiness, veining, color and fading to yellow).

tt4n

Latest posts

Back