I'm relatively new to orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coronacars

Reaction score
but what do you do when you receive something from a vendor with a good reputation and you don't think you got a fair shake? I'm not naming the vendor now, but I paid $140 plus $25 for shipping and the orchid does not look good at all. What would you do?

It's a Phrag Kovachii. I bought it from a US seller. Maybe I should just give it time?

For Pk that's a good sized plant. Ask the vendor when it was imported. Clean the light stuff from that dried piece of leaf. Should be okay.

To insert a picture in your post use the "Insert Image" button not the "Insert Link" url button.
Or type this with the image link in between the bracket code sets.

First of all welcome to ST.
Secondly... sorry to hear of the issues. I feel your frustration. I got a TERRIBLE order from Norman Fang a while back, and after the fact when I mentioned it pretty much every one said, "Yeah, happened to me too." And I walked away thinking... "Why didn't anyone write some reviews??"

So in my opinion you should request a full refund from the vendor! If they refuse that then you should get online and state your complaint. Of course be respectful and stick to the facts, but putting people on blast is one of the few ways we consumers can speak our minds in the age of computers.
Because we both know that no vendor worth their weight would have sold you that orchid at a show! They don't have the balls to outrightly try to rip you off, but for some reason when the computer is involved people get ballsy and assume they won't get called on it.

Just my two cents (USD),
JAB

Thanks for all the advice. I have contacted the vendor and will wait and see what they say. I prefer to resolve it with them.

I do agree had I been there to pick an orchid I would not have picked this orchid. I would have passed. I also have ordered several hundred $$ of orchids from this same vendor in the past and have told them if the orchid is not nice just don't ship it. But I think what happens is they have so many and they apply the one in and one out selling philosophy. Every one takes turns getting less desirables from time to time. I don't believe in that. I paid good money for an orchid and I want a good one.

Welcome from Norway!
that plant looks beaten up etc., but for a PK of that size (what it seems to be) it is a bargain. I would have kept it.
Seems to have three fans, two older and one new? Pay attention to the substrate and roots. The substrate looks a bit messy.

BTW, kovachii is known to be one of the hardest species to grow from a small size. The one you have is mature, a plus. Many ebay vendors are jobbers, getting lots of plants from growers and importers at a discount and turning a profit by selling them individually. I would keep it if you think you can give it the conditions it needs. Good luck.

It looks like the tag says "Ecuagenera." Could the plant be wild-collected -- or at least grown outside where is is more liable to natural damage?

I really don't know. It was here in the US and shipped from a US seller not from out of the country when I bought it.

I took pics and sent the vendor the day after it arrived and let them know my concerns. Then Emailed them one more time with my concerns on Monday and left a voice mail for them. I have not received a phone call or return email. Obviously customer service or concerns is not on their list of priorities.

The good news is the orchid is doing ok now. It may lose a leaf or two, but I hope that is probably the worst of it.

It is a shame that the seller was not responsive.
If you don't hear back from them for a few days, then it is bad.
You have all the rights to leave a negative feedback and share their name here and everywhere else.

Doing so will only encourage them to behave better and let other people aware. Pressure works well.

Also, I'm glad to hear that your plant is doing ok.

By the way, I recommend to get a clean looking possible plant to start with.
Whatever the reasons or excuses, it is best to start with clean looking plants.
Things can only go wrong.
Especially when you pay over $100 per plant.

Also, search around the internet and know the market prices.
Sometimes what you think is a deal is not a deal after all.

I enjoy buying on eBay because I can see the plants and make decisions rather than facing unpleasant surprises.
Starting with clean strong plants is very important and works well for me.

I'm still holding out hope they do the right thing and get ahold of me and let me know what happened. The way they are doing business is unprofessional and when I'm ready to buy more I will purchase through another vendor.

I'll give it through the end of the week and see if I hear from them. When I call it just goes to voice mail. Then no return call.

Who is this vendor?
I want to know, and I'm sure others do as well.

Also, ask all the questions before buying, and avoid vendors who does not accept returns unless the descriptions and pictures are satisfying.
See their feedback history also.

If I don't hear from them by Friday I'll let you know. I prefer to give everyone a fair shake.

FYI I did communicate with them before the purchase and asked them that when they ship to me if the orchid isn't good I rather them not send it just let me know and refund the $$. I told them I do not want average orchids. I wanted something good.

I had received several other orchids from them in the past and was pleased with the quality and health of them. On that particular order the shorted me 5 orchids and said they didn't feel they were worth shipping to me. That gave me a good feeling. Although I had to call and ask where the missing orchids were. No packing slip or communication as to why 5 were missing.

Latest posts

Back