ID Miniscule Cattleya Flowers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Phyrex

I was in a store a while back and I saw a plant in what I think was a 4" pot. It had p-bulbs like catts but the flowers were so tiny, less than an inch across and the plant was full with them. These grew from a small branching spike from a bifoliate p-bulb. Does anyone know what this is? They were soo pretty. I made a picture with my phone so the quality is not that good.

Attachments

• Image000AA.JPG
    Image000AA.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 86
I think it's an epicatt. It would be best to get a close up pic of the flower to be sure. Possibly a Enc. alatum hybrid with a Cattleya.
Peter

It could be Laelia lundii crossed with a floriferous catt on the small side… It’s hard to say without the close-up everyone wants, but I see lundii’s shape and veining there, and adding a catt would make its little bifoliate leaves wider. Kind of fun to speculate about these things, but frustrating to not have an answer! (Not that frustrating in the scheme of things of course.)

I can see why some have suggested Dendrobium, but I think the Epicatt hybrid suggestions are more on track. I see Guarianthe-type Cattleya in the shape (skinneri, bowringiana, aurantica), and that works for the floriferousness and bifoliate habit. A cross with Encyclia could bring the size down, keep the floriferousness and works for the plant habit too. If it isn't a primary hybrid the possibilities include some Brassavola or small Laelia background, and more. Without a much clearer picture and some good luck finding the right comparison pics you aren't likely to get a precise ID, but if you want something similar look at Epicattleya and Epilaelia types, especially Guaricyclia (in the new terminology).

If I read the tag correctly and the store was charging $82 for the plant, it had better come with an ID! Why not just call the store and ask what it is?

Ive read this post a few times now and I finally came to the conclusion the plant in question is in my mind deffinately an orchid.:D

Ok, someday I must see that. a swamplike living room floor. Coooool. Must ask Orchidfrank to bring me one next week, must try it.:p

Latest posts

Back