I think my Paph Juliet needs a repot

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
I thought it had been a while since I repotted Juliet so this morning I decided it was time. I was wondering why I was having so much trouble getting it out of the pot. I got there eventually. This was the first Paph I ever owned and it was given to me by my father. Not knowing what I was doing I grew it in Cymbidium mix and rotted every root. I then repotted it in much coarser bark and it has come back strong. Now I just have to find a pot suitable for it to grow in.

The last photo is what the flowers look like. It has not flowered like this for a couple of years and now I know why. :)

David

julietroots3.jpg

julietroots.jpg

julietroots2.jpg

julietcom.jpg

WOW!!!!!! (it looks like it is potted in a root patterned pot...lol). Great plant and flowers!!!!!!!! :clap:

What makes you think it needs to be repotted? Looks like it is growing very well to me!

It hasn't been putting out many new growths in the last 2 years and there hasn't been many flowers (3 or 4). Nothing like the flowering below. It is funny as I was worried the problem was because I had rotted the roots again because it has been a few years since I have repotted it.

David

amazing that you still have this plant, probably a seedling cultured on a mother plant before the advent of flasking in 1927. Do you have any info from your dad on where this plant came from? I wonder if it's a piece of AOS-RHS awarded clone 'Magnificum'...

Wonderful culture...

amazing that you still have this plant, probably a seedling cultured on a mother plant before the advent of flasking in 1927. Do you have any info from your dad on where this plant came from? I wonder if it's a piece of AOS-RHS awarded clone 'Magnificum'...

Wonderful culture...

Tim

I can't be 100% sure that it is a Juliet as it was given to me by my dad without a name. He got if off a friend. It is one of those vigorous Paphs that everyone seems to have a piece off so quickly does it multiply.

The reason I thought it could be Juliet was that a piece came up for sale in Australia a few years ago and I was amazed at how similar they were. Other than the staminode they were identical. There was a bit of a discussion about it in this link. You would be in a better position than any of us to say whether my plant could in fact be a Juliet or whether it is not possible to say.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13180&highlight=juliet

David

it's certainly a swallow cross, and looks good to me....here's the rhs painting of 'Magnificum', Swallow x Mulatto. I have one more reference for australia I could check...

Attachments

• juliet_magnificum.jpg
    juliet_magnificum.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 18
it's certainly a swallow cross, and looks good to me....here's the rhs painting of 'Magnificum', Swallow x Mulatto. I have one more reference for australia I could check...

Thanks Tim. It certainly looks very similar. I'm happy to keep calling it Juliet. Any other information you can find is appreciated.

David

OMG! You get first prize in the "roots on steroids" category!

If it were mine, I'd not disturb such a magnificent root ball that clearly has NO problems that need fixing. I'd put it in a larger pot with fresh mix all around and I'd top it off with diatomite or pea gravel and bark. Then, check it again in two or 3 years.

I repotted it yesterday. It took me half the day. I put it in a pretty big pot (43 cm wide). A bit too deep for my liking so I put a couple of layers of large chunks of polystyrene at the bottom. I used coarse bark (8-18 mm) combined with pebbles. So it should be right for a few years. See the photo below.

I think I have told this story before but I will tell it again as it helps me to get it out of my system. :) I entered this plant in our show one year (I think it was when it flowered like in the third photo at the beginning of this thread). I thought it looked fantastic with so many flowers open. I was as proud as punch. Being such an old hybrid I obviously didn't expect it to win Champion Paph or anything. But I thought Best specimen Paph was in reach. That looked a certainty when it was the only Paph eligible. Anyway it din't win. Nothing won. I asked the senior judge about this later and he said you don't have to award a winner for that category. He said - "the judges could not reward such a poorly grown plant". I have never been so stunned in my life. It is the best grown plant in my collection. This was the same judge who said my obvious sukhakulii was a wardii hybrid. So I think the problem was with him rather than my plant.

Anyway, I will grow this plant into the biggest specimen possible until it claims the title that it previously earned and deserved - "Best specimen Paph in the Canberra show." :)

David

julietroots4.jpg

Back