I kept the best photo for last.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On 15 of Oct in 2005 I purchase two small seedling from Sherwood Orchids when they were going out of business. This was the smaller of the two seedlings. The only information I have is that it is Paph bellatulum alba. Usually Donna has a hard time getting photos of the whites, but I think she did herself proud this time. I love this flower and I hope you do too. The larger of the two seedlings is now smaller. It is in the same pot as this flower but looks like it has another two years before becoming flowering size.

481squarePaphbellatulumalba.jpg

Beautiful!

Bob, is this the first flowering? What is the size of the plant? I'm asking because I also have a seedling so I'd love to know what is considered a flowering size for these guys.

Elena, more then glad to answer your questions. Yes, it is a first time bloomer. Leaf span is about 6 inches. Only 3 leaves in total. The leaves however are pretty wide at almost 2 inch width. Don't be confused by looking at my photo. As I said there is also a second plant in the same pot and those leaves are showing a bit. I also have a second plant in the green house in bud. That one is also a first time bloomer and is one I bought from Gilda off of E-bay. That one has two growths and both growths are starting to show the sheaths fattening up. The leaf span on this on is only 5 1/4 inches. The leaves are also not as wide at approx. 1.5 inches. Hope this helps.

Elena, more then glad to answer your questions. Yes, it is a first time bloomer. Leaf span is about 6 inches. Only 3 leaves in total. The leaves however are pretty wide at almost 2 inch width. Don't be confused by looking at my photo. As I said there is also a second plant in the same pot and those leaves are showing a bit. I also have a second plant in the green house in bud. That one is also a first time bloomer and is one I bought from Gilda off of E-bay. That one has two growths and both growths are starting to show the sheaths fattening up. The leaf span on this on is only 5 1/4 inches. The leaves are also not as wide at approx. 1.5 inches. Hope this helps.

That's great, thank you! Sounds like they can flower on a similar size growth as niveum and leucochilum. Mine has a 5 inch leaf span (with 1-1.5 inch leave width) so perhaps I won't have to wait too long.

I was just searching threads for posts about bellatulum culture, and some of them mentioned something about some bellatulum albums actually being hybrids mostly of bellatulum and something else (?). How would someone be able to tell if their bell. album were a species or a hybrid?

Very, very nice white flower and, yes, excellent pict. of it!!!! (I know about the problems when shooting white blooms :eek:). Jean

Really a beautiful white bellatulum. Thank you and Donna for sharing great photos with us.

Latest posts

Back