I can't believe it's really happening!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great, Dot! I love the impromptu shading - but what is "remay" material?

I particularly love the wonderful abstract into the puddle. The hose and the reflections are terrific!

Great, Dot! I love the impromptu shading - but what is "remay" material?

I particularly love the wonderful abstract into the puddle. The hose and the reflections are terrific!

Thanks, Chris.

Remay is a woven material used in gardens to either shade plants, keep insects out, or to keep them from frost in the Spring and Fall. Sometimes here in Michigan, we have late Spring frosts and early Fall ones. I mostly use the cloth in the Fall when I have lots of tomatoes ripening, and I can't stand the thought of losing them to one cold night when I know there is still growing season left. If you google "remay cloth", you'll get lots of info about it.

Hi Dot,
I just popped in here to show my husband what I was thinking about when I was trying to describe a "photo corner" set up I'd like to try in my sunroom.

He was suggesting one of those pop-up cubes with lights and all, but I thought your setup would be less expensive and more functional (more flexible for plant heights, better background color for plants, etc.)

Could you tell me what direction your photo corner faces? I mean, looking from the plant toward the sun. I now have a spot in my sunroom that I thought might work...it faces sort of WSW, although the house blocks a lot of the afternoon sun. I have to make due with what I have, and then add the restrictions that my wheelchair places on my ability to move around. I was hoping that with natural light, a tripod, a black velvet background and a blooming plant, I might be able to get some better photographs!

Thanks!

Hi Katherine,

The opening faces East and North, but I think the only thing to consider is where the sun comes in to your sunroom the brightest. That's what you need to block if you don't want direct sun on the plants you are photographing. So one side is to block the direct sun, and the other side is to give a black background. If you don't need to block the direct sun, then all you need is the black backdrop.

Let me know how yours turns out.

Thanks! I think I might try to pick up some black velvet tomorrow and see what I can jerry-rig.

I've tried photographing on a table on the east end of my sunroom, and have had trouble with too much light when I was experimenting. Plus, I have difficulty getting around to the right angle for decent shots. I hope this idea for the other end of the sunroom will work out better. Will let you know!

Thanks! I think I might try to pick up some black velvet tomorrow and see what I can jerry-rig.

I've tried photographing on a table on the east end of my sunroom, and have had trouble with too much light when I was experimenting. Plus, I have difficulty getting around to the right angle for decent shots. I hope this idea for the other end of the sunroom will work out better. Will let you know!
OK.

Before I had my greenhouse, I photographed in my sunroom. It had windows on the E., S. & W. I put the plant in the middle of the room and the black cloth between it and the S. windows. The plant would get a lot of indirect light from the windows all around, but no direct sun because of the black cloth. It worked fine.

Hi Dot !!! What's new in your Greenhouse ??? :)
Hmmmm -- probably too many new plants???

Actually, I've been thinking about asking for advice about foggers. I'd like something that I can hook up to my water line that would provide humidity in the Winter and a little cooling in the Summer. This past Summer, we had about two weeks of temperatures over 90ºF, which made me consider shade cloth. But the cost would not be proportionate to the need for it for such a short time, so I'm thinking about fogging to do the job -- which would also be useful in the Winter for humidity.

I've looked at foggers and portable cool pads, but I'd love to hear suggestions from Slippertalkers...

I'm not sure how cool it gets at your place but I don't tend to have my fogger on in winter. The fogger is very effective at cooling the temperature which is not a great thing in winter. I find that the heating greatly reduces the humidity, which turns on the fogger, which cools the air, which turns on the heating, which dries the air, which turns on the fogger, etc etc. It just chases itself. You could have an issue with rot as well if there is too much moisture in winter.

Foggers are great in summer though. Low humidity in winter is my biggest problem.

David

I think in winter, you would be better off having a trickling hose on the floor of your greenhouse to raise the humidity; i've heard vendors and other greenhouse owners say that this low-tech system works fairly well. ... or, if you want to use your fogger all the time, then to counter what David describes you could just use warm water to use in the fogger; it won't cool as much

thinking for a few seconds reminded me that if you were to use a fogger to emit particles of moisture into the air, they may be more likely to deposit on plants and cool, or on the underside of your plastic roof; in either case you would have drips and/or disease starting up where the moisture has collected/condensed. we have had terrible losses of plants in areas of some houses at work where the last roof plastic purchased (very cheaply) was not of the 'non-condensate' type, and moisture would collect and drip in the winter/early spring even when the sun was out. huge problem!

Back