hybrids registration

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had more paphs 'prior to 1980' than now...and those weren't expensive at all.
And it was the time the first reliable and big rose and red Phalaenopsis appeared, Phal. Zada, Phal. Lippezauber,....remember? In a few years 'orchid' meant Phalaenopsis. There was the money to make.
Nice colors in the chart...

My impression is that prior to the 1980's most of the hybrids were traditional complex bulldog types. With the discovery of several new species including sukhakulii, vinicolored callosum, etc and the ensuing CITES1 listing, all of these species were imported in huge numbers, then selectively bred. The interest in paph species, then new primary hybrids drove the increase. Of course, everyone wants what is tough to obtain.

Here are the 35 most frequent parents from 75 to 89.

70s.jpg

80s1.jpg

80s2.jpg

Crosses per "originator" in the 80s (top 20 originators over the period).

originators.jpg

moving from the lovely English countryside to Florida and trying to bring your complex paphs with you will make all kinds of difficulty for your breeding program...

Here are the 35 most frequent parents from 75 to 89.

Can you give us a table of the total top 35 most frequent parents? I see Winston is being used a lot but how many progeny did he have in total over the 15 years? I would expect fairrianum to also be a popular breeder.

Any chance you can split the list between pod/pollen parent?

WOW!! Look at Mukoyama's rush!! Who are the top breeders in Mainland China going to be??

BTW. When Ratcliffe moved to Kissimee they got access to a lot of new species. I think BS with CITES seizures and Mary's health put a crimp in their hybridization work.

Yeah! I show up on the list, as have made 83 Paph hybrids thus far (can't believe it is already that much!)

Thanks for posting those, very interesting!! Can you make similar lists for Phragmipedium hybrids?

Robert

Can you give us a table of the total top 35 most frequent parents? I see Winston is being used a lot but how many progeny did he have in total over the 15 years? I would expect fairrianum to also be a popular breeder.
Winston Churchill was used as parent a total of 609 times (!). 180 in the 2000s, 161 in the 90s and 126 times in the 80s... Perhaps most funny is Paph. Afternoon Tea. (Winston Churchill × English Tea) :rollhappy:.

Most common parents since the "beginning":
Winston Churchill 609
insigne 421
fairrieanum 368
spicerianum 353
bellatulum 349
rothschildianum 341
Maudiae 306
Hellas 302
Leeanum 296
charlesworthii 264
niveum 259
villosum 237
callosum 230
Harrisianum 225
lawrenceanum 223
sukhakulii 214
Paeony 208
F. C. Puddle 208
godefroyae 201
Nitens 197
delenatii 191
Amanda 183
barbatum 180
philippinense 173
Saint Swithin 165
Pacific Ocean 163
boxallii 160
primulinum 160
hirsutissimum 156
superbiens 155
concolor 151
Cardinal Mercier 150
Skip Bartlett 149
venustum 147
glaucophyllum 147
Sparsholt 146
Chardmoore 143
Small World 133
chamberlainianum 133
Atlantis 132

Any chance you can split the list between pod/pollen parent?

Does the RHS really care about seed and pollen ? Can we trust that information ? I'm not even sure which is which when I'm sold a plant - sometimes, not even the (re)seller...

revilios, which database are you pulling this from? Is this teh data online or is it a separate program you install in your own computer?

Winston Churchill was used as parent a total of 609 times (!). 180 in the 2000s, 161 in the 90s and 126 times in the 80s... Perhaps most funny is Paph. Afternoon Tea. (Winston Churchill × English Tea) :rollhappy:.

Most common parents since the "beginning":
Winston Churchill 609
insigne 421
fairrieanum 368
spicerianum 353
bellatulum 349
rothschildianum 341
Maudiae 306
Hellas 302
Leeanum 296
charlesworthii 264
niveum 259
villosum 237
callosum 230
Harrisianum 225
lawrenceanum 223
sukhakulii 214
Paeony 208
F. C. Puddle 208
godefroyae 201
Nitens 197
delenatii 191
Amanda 183
barbatum 180
philippinense 173
Saint Swithin 165
Pacific Ocean 163
boxallii 160
primulinum 160
hirsutissimum 156
superbiens 155
concolor 151
Cardinal Mercier 150
Skip Bartlett 149
venustum 147
glaucophyllum 147
Sparsholt 146
Chardmoore 143
Small World 133
chamberlainianum 133
Atlantis 132

Does the RHS really care about seed and pollen ? Can we trust that information ? I'm not even sure which is which when I'm sold a plant - sometimes, not even the (re)seller...

I am astounded by spicerianum, as it does not seem to breed very well, or am I very poorly informed?

Spicerianum is in the back ground over every complex cross. Whether or not it breeds well it has very desirable traits and I think this is why it has been used so many time and had so many hybrids registered. That 353 is only the registered crosses made. There may have been many more that werent' worth registering.

Thanks for the info reivilos. I am not surprised by the top 10.

I think RHS can be trusted for pod/pollen parent and I think it matters are each parent contributes different: pod mostly size and vigour while the pollen may only contribute a little to vigour. Both parents should contribute equally to shape and color as this isn't mitochondrially inherited.

Phrag breeding was almost non-existant for 80 years, began in a small way in the 60's & 70's. It wasn't until the late 80's that Phrag breeding increased, because of the discovery of Phrag besseae, and the addition of color and form to the genus.

Spicerianum is in the back ground over every complex cross. Whether or not it breeds well it has very desirable traits and I think this is why it has been used so many time and had so many hybrids registered. That 353 is only the registered crosses made. There may have been many more that werent' worth registering.

Thanks for the info reivilos. I am not surprised by the top 10.

I think RHS can be trusted for pod/pollen parent and I think it matters are each parent contributes different: pod mostly size and vigour while the pollen may only contribute a little to vigour. Both parents should contribute equally to shape and color as this isn't mitochondrially inherited.

I agree that it occures in the background, but so does insigne, bellatulum and barbatum. If fact nearly every early introduced paph occures in the background of nearly every complex, that does not mean that the species breeds well, just that it was arround in the beginning when the hybridizing got started. I would hazzard a guess that bellatulum and roths which have been used less/similar, account for at least 10x the ammount of awards each. Awards to primary offspring of spicerianum must be very few and far between, with Bruno and Leeanum probably accounting for more than half of them In fact offhand I cannot think of many other awarded hybrids, appart from Stone Lovely (about the only recent one I think):confused:

Now the phrags.

Almost nothing till the 90s:
reg_per_y.jpg

The top 20 originators make up 70% of all crosses:
originators.jpg

Latest posts

Back