Hurricane Sandy

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have photos I'll post here when my internet is restored. if anyone is on Facebook, you can see them there. its a weird mix here of normal and crisis...supermarkets are well stocked in some aisles, nearly bare in others. a good time to be vegan........I finally go back to work tomorrow, but kids dont go to school til Monday.

We got power back about 1 a.m. All-in-all, we skated through this OK. I really feel for the folks in NJ, lower Manhattan, etc.

I don't get it. I had a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_York_hurricanes and it seems New York suffers a major hurricane about once every 22 years with an increase in hurricane frequency over a ~50 year cycle... Yet New York seems mostly unprepared. The Salvation Army is armed with cookies and hot chocolate and seems totally out of blankets and quite possible never had any etc... (Our Salvation Army etc... has a constant stock of blankets, enough for 2 years worth of disasters so it is never caught off guard). New Yorkers seem, for the most part, on the global warming band-wagon and a favourite scare tactic of the warmers is the mantra "hurricanes will become more frequent and powerful" (for which there is no evidence...) I would have expected quite the opposite of what I'm seeing on the news. New York and New Jersey seem totally unprepared for this scale of disaster. The 1821, 1893, 1938, 1944 etc were huge and caused massive damage. The current disaster is hardly unprecedented. Your leaders seem to have stuffed up in a big way in not making adequate preparations for the inevitable.

This was barely a hurricane.
No power yet. Maybe Monday.

Favorite part of movie is whhen Tina Turner says to Raggeddy Man(MadMax), "You can shovel **** cant you??"

Classic.

Hang in there Clark, and everybody else. May you shove poo many years to come :rollhappy:

I talked to my mom yesterday for the first time since the storm hit (her phone was down all week and she is technologically "challenged"). She lives well north of NYC in Peekskill, NY and said that conditions even there were very bad. In her words, "I can't ever remember any storm with this kind of power coming here". She's 79 and has a scary good memory.

She said that trees were down everywhere, the power was off for many folks (luckily not her), constant rainy conditions for over a week, "the worst winds I've ever experienced in my life", and on down the road. Moreover, folks are syphoning gas since there is a shortage. It seems like the days back in the early 70s during the embargo. My sister can get to work, but she barely has enough gas to get there and then runs the risk someone will take what little is left in her tank to get home!

As for the folks on the Jersey Shore and the hard hit parts of the city, my heart goes out to them. Storms like this can't really be planned for completely (nearly a 14 foot surge at the Battery!). What this storm tells me is that our system of things is delicate, easily damaged, and not to be taken for granted. The great earthquake and tsunami that happened here last year had the same message - modern society lives in a precarious balance with "nature".

Opinion- sport/profit.
Gas is available, if one is willing to wait.

I get logged out rather quick on the phone.
Sorry for short posts.

Tyrone- It seems like the hurricane was a surprise to NYC, but it wasn't. The discussion has been going on for years about hurricane preparation. In fact, over 15 years ago I attended a lecture at Queens College about how the NYC region was statistically overdue for a real "big one" (and no, this was actually not the "big one"!") The scenario of a major hurricane coming in on incoming high tide has been played out for years to the city, and in fact, the mayor took considerable heat for preparing for Irene as if it was the big one, when in fact it was nowhere near. But no, this was not the big one. The big one would be a Cat 4 storm coming in aiming square for the NY bight- with NY Harbor in the center- on incoming tide with 20-24' surge. I've been through quite a few hurricanes before- this one, as far as wind and rain goes, was not much...less, in fact than Irene. But the storm surge came on the full moon incoming tide. Landfall was made- well south of NYC- as high tide peaked. And remember....this was NOT the big one! But how much can you do with a walled off bulkheaded shoreline? All you can realistically do is plan for evacuations and anticipating the floodwaters. When the city was built, the occasional hurricane wouldn't cause that much damage. The city is built beyond colonial recognition now...and we had been spared bad hurricanes, but luck can only go so far.

Latest posts

Back