Hurricane Sandy

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
Me, being an ignorant person in Sweden, didn't hear about this approaching...disaster, until just a moment ago.

I know there are members living in the area where it's (she's?) supposed to hit, and, well, I hope you guys will be okay.

How are things? Anything you want to share?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I am so glad you posted this mutant! I want to do so this morning, but I had to rush off to my ex job to train some people. Please everyone, be safe and check on your neighbors! Let us know as soon as you can that you are okay!

It's making landfall in New Jersey as I type. Where I am, one of the highest elevations in Queens, so I am safe. Lights keep flickering, but we have power...but 18,200 people in Queens have no power now...1 person dead, killed when a tree pinned him against a car. Flooding in all low-lying areas, which are under evacuation orders. No public transportation. But for all that, from my window, just another windy storm, no worse than others. Yet.

Please update us everyone! If at all possible. If you need us to contact local emergency authorities for anything, please let us know ASAP!

That sounds good so far Eric. Any word on NYEric?

he emailed me earlier today saying that we should go surfing..... he's in a tall building, which is going to gets tons of wind and swaying around

I went out around 730pm looking for some 'd' batteries for my radio, none to be found. it's not really raining here, but just a steady 25mph breeze

NY Eric will be safe, as he is pretty high up. However, I am assuming he can't update us because he has no power. Lower Manhattan has no power in most areas, from 39 st down. My sister in law lives in Soho....has no electricity. Eric is a few blocks away on Houston, so I'm sure he's out also. He's far enough from the water to avoid flooding, but lower Manhattan got a surge of 13+ feet, highest ever recorded there. Subways in lower Manhattan are flooded...they are pumping it out as fast as the East river flows in.....

New York would not be the place to be right now. I would not like to be up high in a swaying skyscraper with flooded streets below. I hope Eric and all of our East Coast friends are safe.

Hi everyone; I'm fine, thank you. I left work at noon to volunteer to work at an emergency shelter. Since my job is 3 bridges along the shore we started the day removing things from the water's edge but I dont think we anticipated the surge enough. I'm hoping none of our barges collided with our bridges. :( My S.O. called because we got a warning about the power being pre-emptively shut off. However there was a transformer explosion at one of the East side powerplants so they will have problems when they start back up. Besides lots of trees down, flooding was really bad in southern Brooklyn, one police precinct was underwater and had to be evacuated. Hopefully we wont get much more weather and clean up will be quick. Hopefully we will stillhave Mass Orchid show next weekend. :)

Hi all,

I just got back from the USA, flew out of JFK on Saturday morning. Laura and I had been travelling one step ahead of Sandy since arriving in Florida on the 19th. We managed one snorkeling trip off the keys before the currents got to strong... By the time we left Key West the wind was getting quite strong and the rain was moving in. We had two lovely days in New York City enjoying the calm before the storm. Awesome city. It would be so much more enjoyable without the throng of tourists :wink:

Hope NY and the East coast quickly get back on their feet.

We lost power about 7 pm, and have no idea when it'll be restored. Fortunately my generator powers the greenhouse, our well pump, furnace (for heat and hot water), and a few, random circuits around the house to provide minimal lighting, but also the FIOS box and the computers and phones.

I was very happy to learn that a tank of gas keeps the generator running for over 12 hours, allowing me to get a decent night's sleep.

Lots of branches down, but no damage to house, greenhouse, or the First Rays van, which lives outdoors.

All cooking is on the gas grill, but that's no big deal, although cooking bacon and eggs was a challenge while holding an umbrella, this morning.

All cooking is on the gas grill, but that's no big deal, although cooking bacon and eggs was a challenge while holding an umbrella, this morning.

Camping in the concrete jungle?

Count your blessings. An umbrella wouldn't have helped the folks in Virginia under 3 ft of snow---but maybe George Micheal's leg-warmers would have?

I took a walk around the neighborhood, and several folks lost huge trees - mostly spruces whose foliage provided wind resistance.

One neighbor had a huge tree come through the roof into his family room, where he and his wife had been sitting not 15 minutes earlier.

Big cold front moving in.

If no power and collection in an appartment building (with no generator) any ideas for staying warm?

Maybe some of those camping propane or kerosene heaters.

Latest posts

Back