Hurricane Sandy

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big cold front moving in.

If no power and collection in an appartment building (with no generator) any ideas for staying warm?

Maybe some of those camping propane or kerosene heaters.

If your power goes out the first thing to do is to cover your windows with blankets or anything to add insulation to hold in heat as long as possible.

Big cold front moving in.

If no power and collection in an appartment building (with no generator) any ideas for staying warm?

Maybe some of those camping propane or kerosene heaters.

I wouldn't recommend a open flame in an appt. I would cover them with a sheet and do as gonewild has pointed out.... That's just me!

Good to hear from Eric & Ray. Anyone else?

Rick, be careful about propane or kerosene heaters -- don't they give off carbon monoxide?

kerosene heaters are commonly used as space heaters in living spaces though sometimes they can be a little stinky... I bought a propane heater before one big cold winter storm a few years ago just in case my plants needed heat; you can't use them in any enclosed room if you are going to be in it breathing, but if you are very careful you may be able to use certain ones where your plants are, then you would have to be in another room with fresh air. I ended up not needing it as the power didn't go off and traded it to someone for something else

I'm seeing on the news (one of the very few times in the last several months that i've actually watched television) tonight that the storm is causing huge waves on the great lakes and can be felt as far away as chicago, and snow is even in ohio. lots of snow in west virginia and related mountains...

last night when huge gust of wind would approach, I heard some cans (pickles, tomatoes etc that I had canned last month that have the thin metal lid over glass jars) that when the air pressure dropped or raised, one of the lids would 'pop' up or down. I'd never heard the air pressure change that quickly before, and i also heard on the news tonight that the center of the storm had such low air pressure... saw and heard for the first time of the huge fire in queens, hopefully no-where near eric m. brother is still in tall apartment in lower brooklyn but think they have power and not going anywhere, and sister/family in west orange which is higher ground they had some minor damage from tree gently falling on part of roof. here it was windier today, but didn't see any big damage on the greenhouse roofs, though some spots had to be repaired here and there. so far family has all been fine, things here have been worse during hard summer storms, so we are very fortunate

hope all that are still without power or looking at seas of water around their homes all make out well and can pick up and continue on

Eric
Are you very close to the fire that took place in Queens? Are you all right?

I heard it is an island now.
No damage at our house really. Barely rained.
But coastal folks are paying price. Mold will be a problem soon.
When we get normal internet service back, I'll post some pics..

If you have warm beer...just place it outside!

I'm worried about Eric. Doesn't look like he's been on, has he? Hopefully, he's just without power...though what does a busy bee like him do all cooped up!

Please don't use a propane heater in an enclosed bldg. They are a carbon monoxide hazard.
Blankets, lots of blankets! Wear a hat in the house to conserve heat.
Winter camping has taught the frozen one many things -most of which include loose layers and keeping my head covered!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Please don't use a propane heater in an enclosed bldg. They are a carbon monoxide hazard.
Blankets, lots of blankets! Wear a hat in the house to conserve heat.
Winter camping has taught the frozen one many things -most of which include loose layers and keeping my head covered!

New ventless Blue Flame heaters are good. I believe rated for indoor use with minimal venting too. I've used one in my GH for multiple years. 30,000 BTU and no electricity required. But I doubt if any are available in NYCity as well as 100lb propane bottles.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395468_200395468

Blankets are great for keeping warm blooded critters happy, but won't do the orchids any good.

I'm ok. No internet. My smartphone is a pain to write with. The fire was in the rockaways...evacuated, so no one hurt. No access to water due to the flood, 80 homes destroyed, including my congressman. Can't stand him, but wouldnt wish that on a dog...

I helped with a big flood many years ago and after Katrina
and the worst is yet to come really...the clean up. Dealing
with home owners in shock, stinky sticky mud in and on everything and family pictures that can't be replaced, small businesses trying to dig out with no money coming in is a horror story. All my good vibes to those who will be trying to restart their lives.

...... I'm worried about Eric. Doesn't look like he's been on, has he? Hopefully, he's just without power...though what does a busy bee like him do all cooped up!
He's been on How's the weather thread. Chances are he's not cooped up, he's probably working his butt off! He posted before that he's a volunteer to help prep the city for this type of thing & helps at the shelters too! So my wishes are that he's getting some sleep!

Well, I was out of power for a day or so. The house was pretty cold when I got up. My orchid room was 49 degrees. Lucky the power came on later and heated back up. We got a lot of rain. Besides some trees down and some flooding it wasn't too bad. A lot of roads were closed so it was hard to get around. But in Maryland we got off easier than some surrounding states. Getting back to normal now. At least I got a lot of repotting done, didn't need power for that.

i have family in Atlantic Highlands who say its the worst they have ever seen (they are in their sixties) ..they watched from their house, as their harbor below disappeared , the rush of water taking the boats away....
met some New Yorkers yesterday in L.A., stranded , so they decided to fly to Seattle and check it out

Hurricane!? :rollhappy: driving in downtown manhattan is like deathrace 2000!! I have been working steadily, 4 hours sleep since sunday night. I got to go home this afternoon and i carried 4 gallons of water up 20 stories for my neighbor. We then went uptown to a friends to take showers and it was like nothing happened; people eating in outdoor cafes, riding bikes, jogging!! :confused: Now i'm back working at the shelter. I'll try to post some photos tomorrow.

Seems at this point we may not have lost any of our dear ST friends - thankfully!

We had rain. Very intense, non stop hard rain, all day and all night and all day and.... The first morning the dogs wouldn't go out. By evening I shoved everyone out the door and they wouldn't leave the stoop. Second 'potty' run I put them out the back door and called them into the front door. The old girl found a dog box out back and holed up in it while I stood in the rain out front calling her and getting worried she didn't show up. Finally went looking for her and found her in the old box. Sheep ran out and ran back in just as fast. Had to put Kramer the alpaca in with the weanling lambs - all he wanted to do was stand outside and look cross. I didn't even let Granny the llama and her buddy Tipsy the nuclear disaster sheep out. No use letting them get wet and Tipsy could get chilled and her blanket soaked. Horses and chickens kept in and guinea fowl flew out every morning and doors opened enough they could come in in evening, crazy birds.

Very chilly and muddy but all is well here. I'm very relieved and happy. Hope all without electric stay safe and hopefully no loss of orchids either.

Latest posts

Back