Hoya

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
This plant belongs to my mother, actually... I have a few other hoyas too... They grow very well and vine easily, but do not flower all that frequently... What is the factor that makes hoyas flower..? Do they bloom upon maturity, or rely upon an external stimulus..? :confused: Thanks.. :)
Qns_hoya2.jpg

Qns_hoya1.jpg

Nice!

Where are you growing them? Inside/outside? I would think they'd be easy there.

Nice!
I've not had a hard time getting them to bloom. I had one years ago in the house, south window, dry between waterings. I now have one in the GH & I treat it pretty much the same as indoors. I think being on the pot bound side helps, so maturity could be a part of it.

Very pretty - I've never seen one with red flowers before.

Mine have white flowers. They love living in a south window for me. Unfortunately I need to repot mine and that will probably disrupt their blooming cycle for a couple of years. My plants are 27 years old.

Joanne

Nice...I like the tiny hair... what family do they belong to taxinomically????? Thanks

Where are you growing them? Inside/outside? I would think they'd be easy there.

I grow them outdoors, in partial shade... But I'm not sure just how much light they want. They seem to tolerate a wide range of light levels.. I've seen wild hoyas growing in full sun..

I think being on the pot bound side helps, so maturity could be a part of it.

Rose, so could planting them in a pot as small as possible help them bloom earlier..? Thinking of it now, no wonder most nurseries I buy hoyas from always keep their plants in tiny pots, even though the plant itself is quite large and messy. I always thought the reason is because it is difficult to untangle the vines. But after I repot them, the hoyas will not flower for a while.. Now I know better than to disturb them... :)

My plants are 27 years old.

:eek::clap:

I've found that, although they grow well in just about any kind of light, blooming is better with some sun. I agree with Rose about the watering.

This is a pretty one -- I'd love to have one with red flowers. I have a pink one and a white one. I drool over the ones I see in catalogues!

They seem to tolerate a wide range of light levels.. I've seen wild hoyas growing in full sun..

Certainly there are a large number of species and they have different light requirements, but even within the same species they can be grown well in a range of light levels. Many will have reddish color to the leaves when they have a happy level of light, and bleached leaves when they are getting more than they need. For example, this one is grown with cacti - it's at a local park so I haven't been watching to see if it's growing well, but it looks established (climbing up the supports) and is blooming.

There are also species that just won't bloom until the vine reaches the canopy and then flops down - but I guess what you have isn't one of them.....

I love hoyas :smitten::smitten::smitten:

Rose, so could planting them in a pot as small as possible help them bloom earlier..? Thinking of it now, no wonder most nurseries I buy hoyas from always keep their plants in tiny pots, even though the plant itself is quite large and messy. I always thought the reason is because it is difficult to untangle the vines. But after I repot them, the hoyas will not flower for a while.. Now I know better than to disturb them... :)
:eek::clap:
Any plant that one has for 27 years should certainly need repotting at some point! :clap: well done Joanne! How many times has this plant been repotted? What was the root system like?
I don't think I would intentionally underpot. Everyone's culture is going to be different, so what works for me may not for you. I think some basics come into play - if the plant is busy growing roots, it's not going be blooming. If it's intentionally underpotted then it may require more care as they generally dry out faster. The leaves on my hoya start to get alittle limp, that's when I water. Transplanting potted plants (in a soil mix), it's recommended to increase pot size by 1-2" but how many actually do that? I think human nature is 'give them room, don't fence them in!' :p I don't think I'd disturb it again, just be patient, you'll be rewarded!

Looks like Hoya pubicaylix - do you know the species name for your plant? Or where the original cuttings were collected? I have several Hoya, and they are wonderful foliage plants, and once they get old enough to bloom they are hard to beat.

Nice size plant you have there.
Leo

Looks like Hoya pubicaylix - do you know the species name for your plant? Or where the original cuttings were collected? I have several Hoya, and they are wonderful foliage plants, and once they get old enough to bloom they are hard to beat.

Leo, I do not know what species it is... It was bought fro a usual plant nursery..

Thanks for the advise, Rose. I'm not sure if all hoyas do this, but this particular one always has a long piece of leafless stem (with aerial roots) at the growing apex, and it tends to form the spikes off these stems, not the leafy ones... I have a white one which doesn't seem to have this type of growth habit.. :)

Mine were last repotted in 2004...I can tell they need repotting by the way the water runs through them (and on to my hardwood floor :( ). There's probably not a lot of potting medium left. I'll post pix when I get around to repotting. I'm likely going to split the plants because they're getting pretty large. One of them also has a lipstick plant in it that has recently decided it likes to bloom too, so I'm waiting for that to be done.

Joanne

i thought that Asclepiadaceae was placed into Apocynaceae and as such, no longer existed. i could be wrong, though....

It is correct that family Asclepiaceae (note spelling) has been merged into Apocynaceae, but I cited SUBfamily Asclepiadoideae, which is correct. I just didn't mention family Apocynaceae.

Latest posts

Back