How's the weather?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only the odd patch of snow here. Lots of spring flowers peeking through the soil.....now there is a major winter storm forecast for Wednesday and Thursday. All the great weather has made everyone forget that it's actually still winter! :sob: :rollhappy:

Only the odd patch of snow here. Lots of spring flowers peeking through the soil.....now there is a major winter storm forecast for Wednesday and Thursday. All the great weather has made everyone forget that it's actually still winter! :sob: :rollhappy:
Snow is all gone here, but there is still some ice on the pond and river. Looks like we are in for it, Wendy!

Cool, rainy and froggy right now
Looking at radar and forecast, intense storm clump in north Carolina heading directly to south jersey, complete with thunderstorm/tornado warnings

3:30pm just heard national weather service warning for tornado watch this general Delaware River region until 11pm

Right now five warnings in virginia, three in North Carolina and one in South Carolina. Two different lines of storms

Elmer Nj

Last edited:
We've had ice pellets and freezing rain all day. Steve just went out and braced up our Magnolia tree with boards so it won't snap under the weight of the ice. We're supposed to get 15cm or so of snow and high winds overnight. Looks like another day off tomorrow. I hope everyone is staying safe and warm through this....looks like winter finally arrived. :sob::sob:

Hope all your trees are okay. First storms dodged just east of my apt and these later ones took track over philly and just west of here. Lots of flooding north and west

0353b96c73391f886d729036d561eb1b.jpg

Take your pick of which severe weather you like

Elmer Nj

We got as much snow last night as we have gotten in total all year! Originally it was forecast to stay south of us but I guess a last minute track change had the storm hit us right on. Too bad it will all be gone next week with double digit above freezing temps forecast.....NOT!

Snow is going FAST....spring bulbs etc are peeking through. Temps are supposed to stay above freezing now. :clap::clap::clap: Golf courses are starting to open south of us....ours won't be long....maybe a couple weeks. WOOHOO!

I wish the weather we are having today would stick around until summer -- I even went out and did a bunch of weeding this afternoon!

Gorgeous day today! Warm and no rain...whoopee! Early
daffs. and crocus in bloom. Buds on the tulip poplars.
I'm looking forward to lots of bird song and the return of the hummingbirds.

A few photos from yesterday's ice storm. We came through fine with no damage to our trees so far but there is a lot of damage around us. Thousands of people are still without power. Ours was only off for about an hour....advantages of being small town with our own hydro crew. We heard the transformer go and then watched out the window while the guys fixed it. Hubby put the 2 x 4's under the magnolia again....it would be awful to lose that.

I was going to ***** and moan about rain...again. Now I
think I'll just shut the hell up. Wendy, is the magnolia in
bud? Is it possible that the ice might protect the buds
a bit? Sure would be a shame to lose the potential flowers on that tree.

I was going to ***** and moan about rain...again. Now I
think I'll just shut the hell up. Wendy, is the magnolia in
bud? Is it possible that the ice might protect the buds
a bit? Sure would be a shame to lose the potential flowers on that tree.

Yep it's in bud. I don't think the ice will hurt it much. We still have the support under it until the ice melts off later today. Angela you'd love this tree....after the initial blooming it blooms with fewer flowers right through until frost in the fall. Only the first blooming opens fully....the rest open about half way. Love this tree and I'd be heartbroken to lose it. I was astounded at the people who walked by yesterday to see if it had made it through another ice storm. Apparently it has fans. LOL!

PS....Angela, owning a tree nursery maybe you could tell me; is it okay to trim the water sprouts/excess branches from the magnolia in the spring or should I wait until fall? I think it needs to be opened up a bit to let more air in.

Back