How's the weather?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to gym today as part of my New Years resolution and got as far as the coffee bar (don't want to overdo things!), and saw on the news how bad the weather was in the NE. I hope you are all safe!:(

When I took off a semester to be a ski bum I took a bus from NYC to Breckenridge. On the way thru Chi-town I got a little scared because the highway was plowed thru snow higher than the bus and there were tractor trailers blown over on their sides, Storm of early '79 I believe. :p

In Madison WI, about 125 miles (200km) northwest of Tom in Chicago area. -13F (-25C) this morning. That is also the predicted high for Monday, after -23F (-31C) low predicted for Sunday night. Cold, but not really unusual once or twice in 5 years.

First thing this morning

zame2uqa.jpg

May not look like much but this is what's left after wind blew most away

My end of the long driveway.. Will I make it to work or bury in a drift?

a2abe7e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ny7enabu.jpg

Success!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Few people that made it to work are not used to 15f and 15-25 mph wind and are suffering. Will be a little below zero F tonight and though compared to other areas that are colder, pipes have already frozen etc around. I have to go check the heater in the pump room in a building 30 yds from my apt to make sure the pump/tank doesn't freeze.

It's not really a bad place to live. Not as vibrant as NYC, but the city has a lot offer in the way of arts, food and entertainment. The problem is the last two winters were exceptionally warm and dry, and this one is exceptionally cold and wet (snow) and we're not used to it. My entire heating bill for the greenhouse last winter was less than $ 700, and I'm already well over that ($500 in December alone!) so far this winter. No doubt I'd much rather be growing out in Hawaii with Fred:)

Do people actually live there by choice? (Bad choice!, Limuhead seems to have the right spot!)

I'll take -30 over +40 any day. The cold is nasty but tolerable. And it's a good excuse to take a work from home day - everyone understands.

Dot, we had the power off for only a few hours, but some people in Toronto just got reconnected, 12 days later. The saddest thing is that the city has lost about 20% of its tree canopy, and we'll probably see many dead branches next spring.

Aside from the snow, it 14 right now. All in all, its been a wonderful day. On top of having a fractured tooth extracted, a CT scan where they snuck some lasix into the IV without telling me (you try lasix on a cold winter day with a long subway trip ahead of you! The train ahead broke down, and after too long a time I jumped out and grabbed a cab...after first convincing the people at 7-11 that I really, really needed their bathroom!), my heat isn't working! Despite having the plumbers come, the best I have done today is to manage to push the heat up to 67.....briefly. It's going to be 2 deg tonight. Might go out to Cutchogue tomorrow...the low there will be -7 tonight...hmmm....maybe not.

Al, our situations mirror each other. There are still people here without power -- I can't imagine what that must like for them.

Eric M -- sounds like a nightmare. I hope things improve soon.

It was -11ºF here last night. My greenhouse door was frozen shut. Inside got down to 52º (I have it set at 55º), so my secondary heater kicked on.

Temperatures will start dropping again tonight, with the high on Saturday 4F. The temperature will drop below zero Saturday night to -30F with a high on Sunday of -20F and a low Sunday night of -35F. The high on Monday moderates to -15F, with a low Monday night of -28. The warming trend continues with a high on Tuesday of -3F. :(

Eric- I had an electric heater that I kept simply as a fan for my light garden. My son and his wife were staying in that room, and felt too cold one night. So they turned on the heat. Turned out to have cat hair in it, which caught fire. So much for heaters.....

Latest posts

Back