How to make Holcoglossum kimballianum bloom?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mafate

You know what? I'm happy!
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been growing this plant for years but have never been able to get it to flower. What does it need to induce its flowering? Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_9995.jpeg
    IMG_9995.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
This species was formerly known as Vanda kimballianum which tells me the it probably a light issue. It looks mature enough size wise. How much light do you give it!
Suggestions that I found on line indicate bright light but not direct sun. It takes a wide range of temperatures without a prolonged winter rest.
It likes to be watered every other day, prefers mounts or baskets without media or a coarse mix.
I have never grown it myself.

Hi, thank you big923cattleya for your answer and your search. During winter, it is behind a south facing window and it is outside from spring to autumn in a semi-shady place. Mayi it is not enough, I will try to find a more luminous place, especially in my house.

I also read here that it doesn't bloom if temperatures are too high, especially at night. I have a room with cooler temperatures and more light, I will move it here.

Thank you again or your help.

Perhaps we have a misunderstanding here, kimballiana can take a wide range in temperatures. I am thinking from cool to warm. From 55F to the upper 80’s.
Growing it indoors and summering it outside, just how warm are your temperatures? My experience tells me that unless your plant gets temperatures between 80 at night and 90+ plus for several months in a row that might influence blooming. But a few warm nights here and there should not have any impact. That comes with this warning, when temperatures are warm, you may need to water much more frequently. Are you doing that? There seems to be good evidence around that when plants do not get enough water and grow WAY TO DRY, they have a tendency to sluff, get rid of buds. It is not getting enough water to support bud health.
Another point that I learned from dozens of speakers is that the number one reason a mature plant does not bloom, the light is not enough.
You are very welcome!!! 👍

Look at this recent post by Orchid Dynasty on Instagram. He has a Holcoglossum wangii covered in blooms. Here is the cultural info from his post.

<<<<⚡️ 𝑪𝑼𝑳𝑻𝑼𝑹𝑨𝑳 𝑪𝑼𝑬𝑺 ⚡️>>>>
☀️ Bright- very bright filtered light
💧 Watered frequently, but well drained
🌡️ Intermediate- cool
🪴 Can be grown in plastic pots with bark-based orchid medium but mounted or basket culture is best long term

1701840940849.png

H. kimballianum is an interm. grower, slightly cooler, or warmer is fine. I grew it on hardwood mount, with good air movement, and brighter and drier in winter(cooler temperature 50-65F), but shadier outside in the warmer months. I only watered mine probably 2x a week if no rain in the warmer months outside.
I used to grow a few Holcoglossum species including kimballianum, wangii...it is a wonderful genus. *yours is big enough(based on photo) to bloom...
Here is a photo of mine (when I was an addict):

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpeg
    thumbnail.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Perhaps we have a misunderstanding here, kimballiana can take a wide range in temperatures. I am thinking from cool to warm. From 55F to the upper 80’s.
Growing it indoors and summering it outside, just how warm are your temperatures? My experience tells me that unless your plant gets temperatures between 80 at night and 90+ plus for several months in a row that might influence blooming. But a few warm nights here and there should not have any impact. That comes with this warning, when temperatures are warm, you may need to water much more frequently. Are you doing that? There seems to be good evidence around that when plants do not get enough water and grow WAY TO DRY, they have a tendency to sluff, get rid of buds. It is not getting enough water to support bud health.
Another point that I learned from dozens of speakers is that the number one reason a mature plant does not bloom, the light is not enough.
You are very welcome!!! 👍
Hello big923cattleya, and sorry for my late response.

No misunderstanding, I understand that Holcoglossum kimbalianum can accept a fairly wide range of temperatures. I just placed my plant in a room where the temperature difference between day and night is greater than in the room where it was located until now. Now it's between 68 and 25 during the day and around 59 at night with good light. Previously, it was in a room with a constant temperature day and night around 69.

And you are right, I will increase the frequency of watering. ;)

Thank you for your help. 👍

Look at this recent post by Orchid Dynasty on Instagram. He has a Holcoglossum wangii covered in blooms. Here is the cultural info from his post.

<<<<⚡️ 𝑪𝑼𝑳𝑻𝑼𝑹𝑨𝑳 𝑪𝑼𝑬𝑺 ⚡️>>>>
☀️ Bright- very bright filtered light
💧 Watered frequently, but well drained
🌡️ Intermediate- cool
🪴 Can be grown in plastic pots with bark-based orchid medium but mounted or basket culture is best long term

View attachment 44048
Thank you William for the tips. 👍

H. kimballianum is an interm. grower, slightly cooler, or warmer is fine. I grew it on hardwood mount, with good air movement, and brighter and drier in winter(cooler temperature 50-65F), but shadier outside in the warmer months. I only watered mine probably 2x a week if no rain in the warmer months outside.
I used to grow a few Holcoglossum species including kimballianum, wangii...it is a wonderful genus. *yours is big enough(based on photo) to bloom...
Here is a photo of mine (when I was an addict):
HI Tom, thank you very much for your feedback. What a wonderful plant when blooming, I cross my fingers to succeed one day! ;-) How often did you water your plant during the winter months? And how did you manage fertilization throughout the year?

Thank you for your help.

How often did you water your plant during the winter months? And how did you manage fertilization throughout the year?
@winter time watering--I watered mine(mounted) once a week or every 10 days( the humidity more than 60%, day time temperature @65f and night time low around 50f in my growing condition), slightly drier is beneficial during the wintertime. If the leaves look a bit too dehydrated, give it a light mist in between. You should adjust the watering accordingly based on your growing condition.
@fertilization--I fed all my plants when I thought about it, no fixed schedule, probabbly every other watering for the most. In general, more food during the growing season, less while resting.. fertilizing lightly once a month probably is all it needs during the winter months.
Hope this can help...

Last edited:
Since it has a wide ranging temperature tolerance and people water it in different ways and frequencies, I go back to my original suggestion, increase the amount of light gradually. Especially when actively growing.

@winter time watering--I watered mine(mounted) once a week or every 10 days( the humidity more than 60%, day time temperature @65f and night time low around 50f in my growing condition), slightly drier is beneficial during the wintertime. If the leaves look a bit too dehydrated, give it a light mist in between. You should adjust the watering accordingly based on your growing condition.
@fertilization--I fed all my plants when I thought about it, no fixed schedule, probabbly every other watering for the most. In general, more food during the growing season, less while resting.. fertilizing lightly once a month probably is all it needs during the winter months.
Hope this can help...
Thank you very much Tom, yes, it helps a lot! 👍

Since it has a wide ranging temperature tolerance and people water it in different ways and frequencies, I go back to my original suggestion, increase the amount of light gradually. Especially when actively growing.
Yes, I think you are right, I moved my plant some days ago at the brighter place I can give it at this period of the year, I hope it will be enough!

Thank you for your help. 👍

Latest posts

Back