Bulbophyllum care

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used to not like bulbophyllums but they have grown on me. I have started a small collection and need some help with care and flowering them. I want to get a head start on getting them to flower so they do not take up precious space or mind power ;). They are all flowering size except the phalaenopsis. I have
1. Bulbophyllum phalaenopsis (small plant)
2. Bulbophyllum medusae
3. Bulbophyllum longissimum
4. Bulbophyllum rothschildianum
5. Bulbophyllum binnendjikii
Thanks and happy growing

Have you read anything about Bulbophyllums at all? The reason I ask is because the Genus Bulbophyllum is huge!!! In my experiences with them, you can not apply a single set of directions in order to grow them. There are ones who enjoy being potted, many need to be mounted due to their 'rambling' nature. You can not confine them to a pot. Hybrids can be easier then species.
There are a couple of Bulbophyllum authors out there who have written books about Bulbophyllums and their care. If you really want to get serious about growing Bulbophyllums or any other kind of orchid, information gathering concerning what culture they need may be prudent. Can I provide what they like in terms of culture? It can be deflating to buy first and ask questions later.

Bill Thoms wrote wonderful book on Bulbophyllums. The name of which escapes me at the moment. Emily Siegerist wrote "Bulbophyllums and Their Allies". That would be another wise purchase. Bill "big923cattleya"

Latest posts

Back