How to know when to harvest a pod and where can I get it flasked in Canada?

• Thread starter Paph_LdyMacBeth
  • Start date
Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Paph_LdyMacBeth

Hello all,

I have a paph cross (brachy type) that I made a few months ago with the anticipation that a friend of mine would flask them for me. The pod is getting nice and fat, but still green.
Fast forward to yesterday and the friend informed me they are not able to accommodate any further flasking with their new job. :(

Can anyone advise me on flasking services in Canada (preferably Ontario) where I can have this done?

Also, how do I know if its ready to be harvested?

Can't help with the "who", but for the "when", I have always subscribed to keeping a close eye on the capsule, and the moment either end starts to turn the slightest degree of yellow, it's time to harvest.

Who do the pros use? Sam? Quintals? Etc?

When to know to harvest is my question also as I have a few capsules going, although I'm not sure if they are all good.

Only one is very fat.
Are capsules that are not so fat still good? I guess only going forward with the whole process will tell at the lab level??

I got very fat capsules without viable seed and capsules without any sign of swelling that produced lots of good seeds.

This is my experience for some Brachys. The capsules usually split after 7 month for thaianum, 9 month for niveum and 8-9 month for godefroyae. But of course it belongs to your conditions too...

That is great to know!
I almost pinched off and threw away some. lol
And now, I shouldn't be too excited about the very fat ones, then.

I usaully sow dry seed so i let the seedpod to open naturally. For most part of the species it works very fine. Also I can store the seed to complete 15-20 crosses to sow all of them at the same time... and to keep a backup of the cross.

The Orchid Farm has let thei url expire and repeated attempts to reach them to flask several species have not been returned in the past several months.

I think their plans to expand a preexisting nursery business (at least this is what I was told) have failed.

Lance: I do have viable seed that has been stored for 5 or more years. for example a Phrag. lindenii cross is germinating from seed stored from 2009.
Fibre: I dry the seed using Calcium Chloride for 7 days then put it in a small sealed vial with some silica gel and strore at 4 Celsius.

Lance: I do have viable seed that has been stored for 5 or more years. for example a Phrag. lindenii cross is germinating from seed stored from 2009.
Fibre: I dry the seed using Calcium Chloride for 7 days then put it in a small sealed vial with some silica gel and strore at 4 Celsius.

Thanks.
How do you dry the seed with the calcium chloride?

5 years! What a long time!
...and thanks a lot for the info about storing the seed.

This is my setup. Calcium Chloride is in the bottom of the big jar and the seeds in the upper part, on top of the net, inside of small paper envelopes.
20160629_205120.jpg

Latest posts

Back