How do you take a representative photo of a red or purple bloom?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoyo_Jo

Catt's Meow
Reaction score
I thought this had been discussed in a thread somewhere, but I can't find it.

Can someone tell me how to take a decent shot of a red or purple bloom with my DSLR? Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately Joanne I don't have (and am waiting with you for) the miracle solution!!!

In practice what I try to do is getting a lot of pics of the blooms from different angles and with different light conditions: flash/natural light (with some sun if possible) and then finally hope to be able for at least one of the pics (sometimes with a little help from my photo software) to show a reasonably near to reality coloring :):eek: !!! Jean

You can use a grey card and adjust the white balance in your RAW or grafic program (sometimes it´s called color balance). That´s your only chance, but if parts of the flowers color are outside of the color space of the camera chip the picture will never fit.

I use this one: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Image...QR8A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1314349830&sr=8-6

Hold the grey card near the flower (this part of the picture you will cut away later) like on this picture:

Phalaenopsis violacea var coerulea 10.jpg

That's a great picture Ricky. I think red and purple flowers require more light than for any other color. I'm still experimenting with this, I bought a couple of 85W compact 5000°k lamps but I need more red flowers to really test them. I only use a small digital Canon camera.

That's a great picture Ricky. I think red and purple flowers require more light than for any other color. I'm still experimenting with this, I bought a couple of 85W compact 5000°k lamps but I need more red flowers to really test them. I only use a small digital Canon camera.

normally, with a small digital camera you can also adjust the white balance. Use either the grey card method, or take several pics with different white adjustments and compare. You can normally also make a final white balance adjustment with Photoshop.

Oh well, one has to ask stupid questions too:

Sorry for my ignorace, but what does that grey card do? Would you "white balance" the grey card, to fool the chip?, or how does it work?

Sometimes I mesure the white balance with a white card. The pic are always in NEF (RAW) and sometimes I adjust in Photoshop. And sometimes I do both...

With reds, I always underexposed the pic since I want to catch details of the flower.

Shiva: I think Ramon is right. I had Power Shot Canon a few years ago and there was a white balance fonction.

Oh well, one has to ask stupid questions too:

Sorry for my ignorace, but what does that grey card do? Would you "white balance" the grey card, to fool the chip?, or how does it work?
Very simply (because that's all I've got!):

The sensor that picks up the light for the image may not be as sensitive to some parts of the spectrum as others, so will "skew" the colors somewhat. A good gray card reflects all parts of the visible spectrum equally, so you can adjust the spectrum of your sensor's absorption to compensate - the "white balance" - giving you an image that is closer to the "true" colors your eyes see.

Shiva: I think Ramon is right. I had Power Shot Canon a few years ago and there was a white balance fonction.

My problem is not the white balance but the lack of light. It takes very good light to get a good red, then, as you say, you can ajust the intensity of the light in photoshop or a similar program to get more details, something you can't do very well if the light is insufficient to begin with. Now that I have much brighter lights available, I find it a lot more easier to get more accurate colours. But I'll read the guide again, I always find something new when I read it. :)

I just spent a half hour putting together a response to this thread, and then when I went to post it, I was kicked off (logged off) Slippertalk. Frustrating -- all that post is gone into cyberspace!

I just spent a half hour putting together a response to this thread, and then when I went to post it, I was kicked off (logged off) Slippertalk. Frustrating -- all that post is gone into cyberspace!

Too bad Dot :eek::eek::eek:

I believe that this would have been very important for all of us :clap: !!!! Jean

In most cases the chip isn´t able to recognize the correct color temperature of the light you are using. Using the grey card you can adjust this later in your RAW or grafic program. This works with every camera you will use.

In most cases the chip isn´t able to recognize the correct color temperature of the light you are using. Using the grey card you can adjust this later in your RAW or grafic program. This works with every camera you will use.

That is right. You just use the gray card to calibrate your colours.

There are other ways you can do it. One is the expodisc -

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/expodisc.htm

David

I have my *fingers crossed* that my husband heard my suggestion of a photography class for my birthday!

Most of this stuff still goes over my head...and I really want to learn how to photograph my orchids!

PS, Please Dot, try again!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK -- second try:

I find a gray card to be indispensable for accurate rendition of both color and value of difficult flower color.

Gray card value is what meters are calibrated to see. It's like as if you could take all the values (lightness/darkness) of a scene and pour them into a jar and shake it up. The value that results in an "average" scene is a middle gray, the value of a gray card. If that scene's value turns out to be lighter than a middle gray (like a bright snow scene), the meter still sees it as gray and the result will be underexposure. Conversely, if you take the values of a black cat in a coal bin and average them, they will be darker than a middle gray, and the result will be overexposure because the meter thinks they should look middle gray. So the point here is that if you use a gray card to meter from in that scene, the meter sees that value and will render the scene correctly.

So I will take a gray card, place it behind the difficult flower, take a reading with the shutter button depressed slightly, holding it there while I take away the card and then depress the shutter all the way. Most cameras should allow you to do this, or they will have some way to "lock" the exposure.

The gray card doesn't really have anything to do with rendering color, as such. But if you get the value right, chances are better than the color will also be right.

So how do you get the color right? That is a matter of the color sensors in a digital camera. Some are better than others, but most have the ability to set the "white balance." In the days of film photography, you had to match the kind of film you wanted to use to the kind of light you were taking the photo under. With digital photography, you set this with "white balance." It really doesn't matter whether you use a white card or a gray card to do this. The point is that it must be a neutral value.

Someone mentioned they underexpose a bit when photographing red. I suspect this works because the meter is not quite calibrated, or it's seeing red as a dark value and so is overexposing it. Using a gray card should help in this situation. That's assuming the meter is accurate. When I used to teach photography technology, calibrating our meters was among the first things we did. It was interesting: most meters were pretty close, but some were "off" a stop or more.

I find that it's not so much the quantity of light as the quality. A good tripod goes a long way to enable the photographer to use longer exposures to make up for light quantity. For quality, that's why I like to use daylight but not direct sun. Direct sun tends to make shadows and highlights that are too far apart for a good rendition. It does make for some nice and dramatic photos, though (think Rembrandt). Some of the light sources that we use for growing orchids don't make for very good photos, even with white balance.

OK, here's some more:

So even with a gray card and white balance, I almost always have to make some adjustments with Photoshop. I suppose any image editing program will allow these adjustments, but I taught Photoshop for a number of years and so I feel very comfortable using it.

So with red, for instance, I might do a little color correction if the red is too "red" or too bright or without detail. In Photoshop, under Image>Adjust>Color Balance, you will see 3 sliders:
Cyan/Red
Magenta/Green
Yellow/Blue
If you take the slider slightly toward Cyan, or better yet, Green, you will tone down the red a bit and bring in some detail in the darker areas. Small adjustments can do big things.

Well, see -- that was rather long-winded. I hope it helps a little.

Just a little more.

Where do you get a gray card? Can you use any piece of gray cardboard?

It was Kodak, I believe, that introduced the gray card for sale. Any good camera store should carry them. They are made out of cardboard, and the gray is a specific value. So no, not any piece of gray cardboard or paper will give accurate readings, but you might be able to find something that is comparable. I've not tried recently. There used to be a product from Unicolor that was a gray card made out of plastic that was supposed to last forever. I still have one, but I scratched it badly trying to clean it. It's probably better to get the Kodak cards and dispose of them when they get dirty.

BTW, the reverse side of the gray card is white.

As for white balance, every camera I've seen does it differently. You'll have to consult your manual for specifics.

Excellent, thanks Dot for taking the time to repost! :clap:

I have a gray card that I've never used. Guess it's time to get it out. :D

Thanks again Dot and everyone who responded to this thread. Your time and effort is most appreciated!

Latest posts

Back