How do one differentiate between a Glaucophyllum and Liemianum?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DYP

Reaction score
Saw a sequential bloomer in nursery last week with a bud. The purple pigmentation at the leave's underside is attractive. Am glad the flower is very pretty with intense color. I did a web search and found that there's variation in the sequential bloomers. Is there a clear way to tell apart between the Glaucophyllum and Liemianum?

Attachments

• 20230905_071657.jpg
    20230905_071657.jpg
    558.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230905_071809.jpg
    20230905_071809.jpg
    820 KB · Views: 0
These are some of the major differences:

1. Liemies are narrower in pouch than glaucos.

2. Liemies have a thick white halo on dorsal.

3. Glaucos have dark longitudinal veins on dorsal.

4. Staminodes of glaucos usually rounder and darker.

5. Liemies usually have spotting on the stem of the plant.

That’s how I screen when judging as first pass. Then on further research I may look closer at comparable award pics to see if they line up with the ID.

You must rule out the others too like moquetianum, dodyanum, victoria-reginae, victoria-marie and kalinae. Some of these have been sunk into each other but have enough differences to warrant being sectioned off at a later date.

These are some of the major differences:

1. Liemies are narrower in pouch than glaucos.

2. Liemies have a thick white halo on dorsal.

3. Glaucos have dark longitudinal veins on dorsal.

4. Staminodes of glaucos usually rounder and darker.

5. Liemies usually have spotting on the stem of the plant.

That’s how I screen when judging as first pass. Then on further research I may look closer at comparable award pics to see if they line up with the ID.

You must rule out the others too like moquetianum, dodyanum, victoria-reginae, victoria-marie and kalinae. Some of these have been sunk into each other but have enough differences to warrant being sectioned off at a later date.
Thank you, Dr Leslie, for the guidance.
I can now conclude that the plant I have is a Liemianum based on the halo, narrower pouch and the purple spotting on the underside of the leaves. However, I do find the staminode to be rather dark in color too. I do also find the veins on the dorsal of my plant as well which can be confusing for me.

Thank you, Dr Leslie, for the guidance.
I can now conclude that the plant I have is a Liemianum based on the halo, narrower pouch and the purple spotting on the underside of the leaves. However, I do find the staminode to be rather dark in color too. I do also find the veins on the dorsal of my plant as well which can be confusing for me.
If you look at the picture of a glauco you will see the subtle differences.

Latest posts

Back