Hoover Dam

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
.. continuing on with our trip, we headed out from kingman, az towards the hoover dam.
along the way I saw some wildflowers, and when we stopped at a rest area near the dam
a navajo woman was selling some very nice jewelry. she told us that she had seen at least
five different herds of bighorn sheep around the area, but we didn't happen to see any.
please note that this is winter, and the fact that in my arizona cacti thread and this one
there are any flowers is only because in the last two weeks they had had some substantial
rain (and that in central arizona it's warmer/lower elevation than in some surrounding areas).
normally there wouldn't be anything flowering.

there will be some large, merged images of the dam and other areas

hoover112a.JPG

wildflowers along the road; in any low ditch or nearby runnel there would be large groups
of these flowers. if anyone knows their name, feel free to chime in!

hoover112b.JPG

view through to mountains near/below the dam

hoover112c.JPG

some nearby flowers nearly spent; I believe these are brittlebush

hoover112d.JPG

at the rest stop in az before the dam, this navajo woman (and her family) were selling
jewelry that she had made. it was all very nice! during conversation we learned that
my stepfather had purchased some east of phoenix on the way to airport to pick me up,
and it was this woman's sister (and family) who had sold him the jewelry!

hoover112e.JPG

nice example of some of the necklaces

prehoover112.JPG

(merged view) this was the view from the rest area; the water in the middle is the
outflow of the hoover dam

hoover112f.JPG

just to left of dam structure was this memorial area. the two sculptures are supposed to
idealize the merging of people and eagles

hoover112h.JPG

this is the top of one of the nevada-side water intakes; a set of two on each side, and
the front ones will have a clock showing nevada time, and on other end of dam arizona time

hoover112g.JPG

yours truly again

hooverfront112.JPG

merged view of dam front. with my lens impossible to even get close to getting all
or most of it (huge)

hooverback112.JPG

merged view from the back showing a set of water intake gates (arizona side) and
the lake behind it

hooverplaque112.JPG

this plaque shows every physical detail about the dam, and the cities initially served by its construction

the dam reminds me of the first episode of transformers!

Great pics, especially the panoramic ones!!!!!! :clap:

Great shots!

The flowers-
Guessing either Hairy Golden Aster(2nd choice), or Camphorweed(1st choice).
Hairy Golden Aster = Heterotheca camporum
Camphorweed = Heterotheca subaxillaris

Credits- National Audubon Society Field Guide to North America(2001)
Pages 280, 399.

Did I win?

Great shots!

The flowers-
Guessing either Hairy Golden Aster(2nd choice), or Camphorweed(1st choice).
Hairy Golden Aster = Heterotheca camporum
Camphorweed = Heterotheca subaxillaris

Credits- National Audubon Society Field Guide to North America(2001)
Pages 280, 399.

Did I win?

I'm from upstate ny; you tell me! :rollhappy: I am looking through desert wildflower pictures but haven't found an exact match

hey, in the cacti thread I just found the name of the yellow flower that looks similar to birdsfoot trefoil - 'shrubby deervetch : Lotus rigidus'

I forgot to upload and add this image below; the visitor center and parking/snack area
hvisitor112.JPG

Nice trip! Now are you back into the throes of winter???
thanks! no, next wednesday evening i'll be on the east coast. winter is definitely happening in central ny/home today :) :(

And I thought the two sculptures were immense rabbit ears for the television set of later years. :) It must be really impressive up close. Thanks for the travel pictures.

You are the "travelin' man" in the winter aren't you!! Thanks for sharing the trip with us.

Thanks for sharing. The design (architecture) is quite strange for me, looks like a temple and not like a technical thing..
Best regards, Gina

Next time you are over, need to learn how to stitch. No bull.

do you mean I teach you, or you teach me? :) I'm actually using the photostitch software that comes on the canon camera disc. I wish I had more control over some things but it doesn't allow very much user adjustment, and you have to overlap the images you take enough so that the program can merge adjacent images. you also have to make sure you keep the camera sliding at the same 'height' sideways so that you don't have to crop a lot from the top and bottom. you can experiment with overlapping just a little to see if the program will allow it, or if it says not enough overlap to merge images. also you have to edit your pictures from raw to final jpg, then try to merge them. sometimes I rush and I don't color match images so one sky ends up looking lighter/darker than the one next to it; usually happens when I'm tired

Congrats on the roadrunner!

I have never used any stitch program. Have all Canon disks, loaded them up, but never pursude anything else besides DPP.

Howd that muley look?
Did the roadrunner bolt upon contact?
Thanks.

Maybe one day I'll see this dam in person, but till then your pictures are a good alternative. Thanks for sharing!

all welcome! it's so big, my pictures are really only a start.. there's a whole lot of it lower that I just couldn't get and piece it all together, so I didn't try (and just have to remember it :) ). there are a lot of views out here that are terrific but I just can't get on a camera so have to remember

clark, we were driving up to the gila national wilderness area on a small road, and I heard my stepfather say 'roadrunner' and I saw it flying to the left of the road and land in a dry wash. I could see from the back and it's size that it was a roadrunner (i'd looked it up a few days ago so that I'd know what one looked like). my mother commented that this one flew off instead of running along, and she thought that maybe this one was smarter, somehow for flying instead :) . the mule deer buck was pretty good size and had fairly large horns. we were on the same road and we drove by it as it was off the right side of the road. my stepfather slowed down and stopped but I was caught off guard and didn't have my camera ready. by the time I got it out and hopped out, it was in some brush next to the road and jumping across a fence. I do have that pic and can show it later. it was comparable to a very large mule deer buck that I saw in summer in jackson, wyoming just hanging out with others next to the road; good size antlers and body. there were four or five antelope in the field/pasture on the up to this point, between groups of beef cattle, but too far away for any pictures. the native turkey I only saw for about two seconds and it was uphill along a very windy mountain road, so I didn't try and distract my stepfather from staying on the road ;) . the top of that trip was 8,500', and I have pictures (later) from that pass

Latest posts

Back